fall leaves

Reaction score
hi everyone
This is my first post,what do you recommend for keeping fall leaves out of the pond,the house next door to mine drops a ton of leaves in the fall and about the same amount of keys in the spring,i have thought about making some kind of frames and then covering them with window screening and then laying them over the pond.My pond is 8'x11 with a 4' stream.Any idea's.

Reaction score
I have netting over both my ponds, 7 x 9 and 10 x 10. You can find it at most pond supply stores. It's primary purpose is to keep out the neighborhood Kingfisher but it also catches leaves... but not all of them. My pond sits under a tree and it has these small leaves that get through everything, I just skim it with an extended net twice a day.

Reaction score
Cover your pond with a net that covers both the pond and the stream or else your stream will just carry the leaves right down into the pond.
I put the net over a pvc arch to prevent the leaves from weighing the net down and laying in the water.

Reaction score
got the same problem my yard is about 70% oaktrees! man what a mess they make

Reaction score
I made a frame out of 1/2 inch SHC40 PVC. Using 45s and 90s you can shape the frame to exactly cover your pond (and stream), whatever shape it is. Then just lash the net to the frame with small wire ties. For small gaps around the edges I simple left a bit of extra net to fill them in. The frame can be disassembled next spring.

RayW said:
got the same problem my yard is about 70% oaktrees! man what a mess they make

Have you ever had a problems with acorns in the pond? I heard they were poisonous to fish!

Reaction score
yea thats anouther problem they fall from the tree an bounce off my roof into the pond.acorns have tannic acid in them that might cause water to turn brown.as for toxic to fish i couldn't say

Ask a Question