Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love Fall!
smfall5.gif

As much as I love my flowers, by now I'm tired of all the yard work and daily watering, and I welcome with open arms the slowing down that Fall brings!
To me the 4 Season are like the 4 stages of my day! Fall being the evening, it's good to slow down and relax after a long day!

Today I will help cleaning the garage, then lay some cardboard on the floor where I start putting the plants to dry for the winterizing process
I feel bad that I only have storage room for a fraction of my plants!

I save a few different: Cannas, Taro, Geraniums, and Dahlias!

After all the chosen plants are safe in the box (takes several weeks), I will then start to clean up flowerbeds and deck...and after that's done, I will do nothing other than enjoying hot chocolate, planning my garden and new pond for next year!

What does this time a year mean to you?
Do you save any of your plants?
Do you have a Fall routine for the outdoor?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a love-hate relationship with Fall.
My garden and pond are no longer looking their best. I feel like I have nothing to go outside and look at anymore.

On the other hand, this is a great time of year for camping, hiking, campfires, and other autumn-related things. I had a fire last night. The weather was calm but cool. Perfect fire conditions, though we're in a drought so I had to be careful and mindful of that. I'm planning on going camping in a couple weeks. That's always a lot of fun this time of year. There's a chainsaw carving festival coming up soon that I've gone to a few times, so I may check that out again, too.

The problem with fall is that you really only get to enjoy about half of it. The second half is usually, gray, rainy, cold, and eventually snowy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a/5b
1. Allergies (unfortunately). Ah-choo. Once we get a few nights of consecutive frost or a hard freeze, things get better quickly, though.
2. There is SO much yard/pond clean-up to do in October. I don't like cutting the plants down around the pond while they are still so green, but I have to make room to pin down the leaf net. Also at this point I know the clock is ticking on getting all the perennials cut down, etc. before Veterans Day (usually by then freezing temps are starting to show up, and with my health issues, it is VERY hard to do anything outside when it's that cold). I only have about 45 minutes of daylight after work during the week now that the days are getting shorter, which means a lot of my weekend daytime gets spent on yard work. If we get together with friends or family for Halloween parties/fall fest things on weekends, it gets tricky getting all of this done.
3. The great black walnut feast is slowly coming to an end in the yard. Since mid-August, the squirrels have been on a feeding frenzy... there are shells all over the yard and fewer and fewer green pods around each day.
4. Like JB, we're in drought here, so I've been on tree-watering duty every day as well. Our newer maples are suffering pretty badly... I don't have much hope for the one at the front of the house, and the one at the back of the house isn't looking too good right now either. They're not dropping their leaves normally--the leaves are not turning orange/red; they are just shriveling up to brown and falling off in weird patterns.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a love-hate relationship with Fall.
My garden and pond are no longer looking their best. I feel like I have nothing to go outside and look at anymore.

On the other hand, this is a great time of year for camping, hiking, campfires, and other autumn-related things. I had a fire last night. The weather was calm but cool. Perfect fire conditions, though we're in a drought so I had to be careful and mindful of that. I'm planning on going camping in a couple weeks. That's always a lot of fun this time of year. There's a chainsaw carving festival coming up soon that I've gone to a few times, so I may check that out again, too.

The problem with fall is that you really only get to enjoy about half of it. The second half is usually, gray, rainy, cold, and eventually snowy.

I live on a dead end street that borders State Land, and on the weekend I can smell all the camp fires! I love it!
The "yucky" part of Fall is actually what I am really looking forward to by now!
Being so busy from early Spring to mid Fall, I can use this time, where after work I got nothing else to do, to devote more time to husband and kids

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
1. Allergies (unfortunately). Ah-choo. Once we get a few nights of consecutive frost or a hard freeze, things get better quickly, though.
2. There is SO much yard/pond clean-up to do in October. I don't like cutting the plants down around the pond while they are still so green, but I have to make room to pin down the leaf net. Also at this point I know the clock is ticking on getting all the perennials cut down, etc. before Veterans Day (usually by then freezing temps are starting to show up, and with my health issues, it is VERY hard to do anything outside when it's that cold). I only have about 45 minutes of daylight after work during the week now that the days are getting shorter, which means a lot of my weekend daytime gets spent on yard work. If we get together with friends or family for Halloween parties/fall fest things on weekends, it gets tricky getting all of this done.
3. The great black walnut feast is slowly coming to an end in the yard. Since mid-August, the squirrels have been on a feeding frenzy... there are shells all over the yard and fewer and fewer green pods around each day.
4. Like JB, we're in drought here, so I've been on tree-watering duty every day as well. Our newer maples are suffering pretty badly... I don't have much hope for the one at the front of the house, and the one at the back of the house isn't looking too good right now either. They're not dropping their leaves normally--the leaves are not turning orange/red; they are just shriveling up to brown and falling off in weird patterns.
That's sad!
I lost 2 young Maples and a 30some yrs old pine, to drought last year

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It usually means lots of leaves and dead flowers to take care of. But with a smaller yard now and no big trees, yet, I can concentrate on finishing the digging of my new little pond. It is so hot and humid here in summer I just can't do too much hard labor outside. But in the Fall I can get a lot of work done. It gets freezing here in late Nov or even early Dec. Enjoy Fall everyone!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Fall reminds me that I am losing my Summer and what a nice warm, dry one we had this year. Fall brings lots of rainy, dreary days here where we live. If I lived somewhere where we still had some dry,sunny days and lots of beautiful leaves I think I would enjoy it much more.Fall does bring back the green grass. Winter is pretty much the same as Fall so it becomes very long. I enjoyed last Fall as we took off for Arizona and other places south which made the Fall/Winter go by much faster. It's pouring down rain right now as I write. I am not one to let the rain keep me from getting outdoors tho and going for my long walks. I have plenty of rain gear to keep me warm and dry so bring it on.
upload_2017-9-30_14-58-12.gif

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Fall is extra special time for me. I love fall so much and just see it as another season of play, time to play outside with the fall decorations, and time to play in my greenhouse and work on all the plants and fairy stuff.
My imagination really went wild today.... ha ha ha

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Fall is extra special time for me. I love fall so much and just see it as another season of play, time to play outside with the fall decorations, and time to play in my greenhouse and work on all the plants and fairy stuff.
My imagination really went wild today.... ha ha ha
OMG! What a wonderful place you have created and what a beautiful soul you are!
I love your imagination and I could listened to your stories all day long!!!!
smfairy.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've heard of, but never read nor watched Alice in Wonderland! Not my thing, just like the wizard of oz

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Fall means a lot of yard and garden clean up. Getting all the planter boxes moved into storage and cutting back and drying plants. The worst- dealing with a 2 cord firewood delivery. Not stacking it on racks this year as it gets dumped very close to the basement so just going to cover it with a tarp. The best- cool weather and rich, warm meals that take hours to cook!

Ask a Question