Fall time, what does it mean to you?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gemma, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Gemma

Gemma

I love Fall! smfall5.gif
    As much as I love my flowers, by now I'm tired of all the yard work and daily watering, and I welcome with open arms the slowing down that Fall brings!
    To me the 4 Season are like the 4 stages of my day! Fall being the evening, it's good to slow down and relax after a long day!

Today I will help cleaning the garage, then lay some cardboard on the floor where I start putting the plants to dry for the winterizing process
    I feel bad that I only have storage room for a fraction of my plants!

I save a few different: Cannas, Taro, Geraniums, and Dahlias!

After all the chosen plants are safe in the box (takes several weeks), I will then start to clean up flowerbeds and deck...and after that's done, I will do nothing other than enjoying hot chocolate, planning my garden and new pond for next year!

What does this time a year mean to you?
    Do you save any of your plants?
    Do you have a Fall routine for the outdoor?

Gemma, Sep 30, 2017
    qclabrat, MitchM, IPA and 1 other person like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Gemma

JBtheExplorer Native Gardener

I have a love-hate relationship with Fall.
    My garden and pond are no longer looking their best. I feel like I have nothing to go outside and look at anymore.

On the other hand, this is a great time of year for camping, hiking, campfires, and other autumn-related things. I had a fire last night. The weather was calm but cool. Perfect fire conditions, though we're in a drought so I had to be careful and mindful of that. I'm planning on going camping in a couple weeks. That's always a lot of fun this time of year. There's a chainsaw carving festival coming up soon that I've gone to a few times, so I may check that out again, too.

The problem with fall is that you really only get to enjoy about half of it. The second half is usually, gray, rainy, cold, and eventually snowy.

JBtheExplorer, Sep 30, 2017
    j.w and Gemma like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Gemma

teeemkay

1. Allergies (unfortunately). Ah-choo. Once we get a few nights of consecutive frost or a hard freeze, things get better quickly, though.
    2. There is SO much yard/pond clean-up to do in October. I don't like cutting the plants down around the pond while they are still so green, but I have to make room to pin down the leaf net. Also at this point I know the clock is ticking on getting all the perennials cut down, etc. before Veterans Day (usually by then freezing temps are starting to show up, and with my health issues, it is VERY hard to do anything outside when it's that cold). I only have about 45 minutes of daylight after work during the week now that the days are getting shorter, which means a lot of my weekend daytime gets spent on yard work. If we get together with friends or family for Halloween parties/fall fest things on weekends, it gets tricky getting all of this done.
    3. The great black walnut feast is slowly coming to an end in the yard. Since mid-August, the squirrels have been on a feeding frenzy... there are shells all over the yard and fewer and fewer green pods around each day.
    4. Like JB, we're in drought here, so I've been on tree-watering duty every day as well. Our newer maples are suffering pretty badly... I don't have much hope for the one at the front of the house, and the one at the back of the house isn't looking too good right now either. They're not dropping their leaves normally--the leaves are not turning orange/red; they are just shriveling up to brown and falling off in weird patterns.

teeemkay, Sep 30, 2017
    j.w and Gemma like this.
  4. Gemma

Gemma

I live on a dead end street that borders State Land, and on the weekend I can smell all the camp fires! I love it!
    The "yucky" part of Fall is actually what I am really looking forward to by now!
    Being so busy from early Spring to mid Fall, I can use this time, where after work I got nothing else to do, to devote more time to husband and kids

Gemma, Sep 30, 2017
    j.w likes this.
  5. Gemma

Gemma

That's sad!
    I lost 2 young Maples and a 30some yrs old pine, to drought last year

Gemma, Sep 30, 2017
  6. Gemma

BarbO

It usually means lots of leaves and dead flowers to take care of. But with a smaller yard now and no big trees, yet, I can concentrate on finishing the digging of my new little pond. It is so hot and humid here in summer I just can't do too much hard labor outside. But in the Fall I can get a lot of work done. It gets freezing here in late Nov or even early Dec. Enjoy Fall everyone!

BarbO, Sep 30, 2017
    j.w and Gemma like this.
  7. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

Fall reminds me that I am losing my Summer and what a nice warm, dry one we had this year. Fall brings lots of rainy, dreary days here where we live. If I lived somewhere where we still had some dry,sunny days and lots of beautiful leaves I think I would enjoy it much more.Fall does bring back the green grass. Winter is pretty much the same as Fall so it becomes very long. I enjoyed last Fall as we took off for Arizona and other places south which made the Fall/Winter go by much faster. It's pouring down rain right now as I write. I am not one to let the rain keep me from getting outdoors tho and going for my long walks. I have plenty of rain gear to keep me warm and dry so bring it on.
    upload_2017-9-30_14-58-12.gif

j.w, Sep 30, 2017
    Gemma and callingcolleen1 like this.
  8. Gemma

callingcolleen1 mad hatter

Fall is extra special time for me. I love fall so much and just see it as another season of play, time to play outside with the fall decorations, and time to play in my greenhouse and work on all the plants and fairy stuff.
    My imagination really went wild today.... ha ha ha

callingcolleen1, Sep 30, 2017
    MitchM, BarbO, j.w and 1 other person like this.
  9. Gemma

RobAmy

One of my favorites during the falling is the steam that comes off the pond in the early mornings. So peaceful while having a small fire and a coffee.

RobAmy, Sep 30, 2017
    callingcolleen1, teeemkay and Gemma like this.
  10. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yep mad hatter but a fun mad hatter!
    I felt like I was a kid again there for a few minutes listening to the librarian tell us stories way back when upload_2017-9-30_15-25-41.gif
    upload_2017-9-30_15-22-24.gif

j.w, Sep 30, 2017
    callingcolleen1 and Gemma like this.
  11. Gemma

Gemma

OMG! What a wonderful place you have created and what a beautiful soul you are!
    I love your imagination and I could listened to your stories all day long!!!! smfairy.gif

Gemma, Sep 30, 2017
    callingcolleen1 likes this.
  12. Gemma

Gemma

What's a "mad hatter"?

Gemma, Sep 30, 2017
  13. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

Look under @callingcolleen1 's avatar photo. It says mad hatter. Remember Alice in Wonderland, the Mad hatter? Crazy as a loon :LOL:
    upload_2017-9-30_15-40-7.jpeg

j.w, Sep 30, 2017
  14. Gemma

Gemma

I've heard of, but never read nor watched Alice in Wonderland! Not my thing, just like the wizard of oz

Gemma, Oct 1, 2017
  15. Gemma

mrsclem mrsclem

Fall means a lot of yard and garden clean up. Getting all the planter boxes moved into storage and cutting back and drying plants. The worst- dealing with a 2 cord firewood delivery. Not stacking it on racks this year as it gets dumped very close to the basement so just going to cover it with a tarp. The best- cool weather and rich, warm meals that take hours to cook!

mrsclem, Oct 1, 2017
    MitchM, Gemma and j.w like this.
  16. Gemma

Gemma

Yup! Nothing says family, like the aroma of a delicious dinner coming from the kitchen and spreading allover the house! smcooking3.gif

Gemma, Oct 1, 2017
    MitchM likes this.
  17. Gemma

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

time to put the pond, yard, bees to sleep...............Down time for me! I love fall and winter

addy1, Oct 1, 2017
    MitchM, j.w and Gemma like this.
  18. Gemma

Lisak1

I do love fall... as much as I enjoy my gardens and pond all spring and summer I do appreciate when things start to slow down a bit. I have been watering more this year than ever in September - the drought we've had this year (after having flooding rains in June) has me really worried. Hopefully the more mature plants with survive, but all the white pines in our neighborhood are dropping needles like crazy. We have two in our backyard and I've never seen them look this bad. I was tempted to just let all my pots go, but I just couldn't do it! Too much work goes into them and I love to make them last as long as possible! So it's been me and my watering can, reunited!

I had a BAD fungus problem in my vegetable gardens this year. So I've been experimenting with H2O2 and compost tea to see if I can kill it off and use the beds again next year. A master gardener told me it was impossible - that I needed to let the bed sit fallow for SEVEN TO TEN YEARS. Uh... no. I'll keep you all posted!

@teeemkay - I was going to suggest you leave the perennials standing until spring, but I understand about your leaf net. You'd be trading a solution for another problem!

Lisak1, Oct 1, 2017
    j.w and Gemma like this.
  19. Gemma

Angel

Putting away lawn mower and bringing out the snow blower and leaf blower.

C ant wait for snow.

Angel, Oct 1, 2017
    j.w and Gemma like this.
  20. Gemma

j.w I Love my Goldies

Oh the snow, I forgot the snow but that's not Fall, that's winter for us if we are lucky enough to get any.
    upload_2017-10-1_8-51-57.gif

j.w, Oct 1, 2017
    callingcolleen1, MitchM and Gemma like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question