Fall / Winter Pond Cover

Here's just a idea someone might be interested in should you cover your pond in the fall to avoid a massive leaf cleanup. Though I have a Savio skimmer, I've been doing this for years. 2 hours to put it up each fall.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Do they make one that will cover a 15' by 22' pond ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Have you thought about attempting to stop the water freezing @barryian we use policarobonate sheeting over our pond keeps the water ice free all winter and keeps a temperature of around 7c
If your pond has flat edges is the only requirement to fit them. either as just sheets or you can make a framewirk to stand it around and over the pond like some people do .

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Have you thought about attempting to stop the water freezing @barryian we use policarobonate sheeting over our pond keeps the water ice free all winter and keeps a temperature of around 7c
If your pond has flat edges is the only requirement to fit them. either as just sheets or you can make a framewirk to stand it around and over the pond like some people do .

Dave
I need something to catch all the leaves, sticks & pine needles from going into mine. I have a radiant heat system that keeps the water from freezing and won't let the temp drop below 42 F or 5.5 C

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
you could get a six mm hex net design like this one :-

http://www.norfinenets.co.uk/view-product.php?index=1943229684

I believe they do export , they will make the net to your design like we had one with a supporting cross pond bungee cord as well as full circumferance bungee strap nothing got through it , the net lasted 6 years before it was retired

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I use window screening that i had already .It is fine and stuff just blows off it .
Cool. (y) I think I have a full roll of aluminum window screen in my workshop. I will give this idea a try especially since I may already have the material meaning it is free or if I have to buy it I know it will be cheaper than a custom made cover :D Thanks for the idea ;) The Koi & :turtle:'s will appreciate it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
aluminum may not work .i use only fiberglass screen .The other kind may rust

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
aluminum may not work .i use only fiberglass screen .The other kind may rust
Aluminum does not rust... It may oxidize a little (turn a bit white) but will not decay away.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I did not really mean rust as I meant degrade plus it will not be as flexable .I used fishing line to sew mine to make a pocket for the pipe

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I did not really mean rust as I meant degrade plus it will not be as flexable .I used fishing line to sew mine to make a pocket for the pipe
I just got back from the workshop and I found a huge shade netting that I forgot I had that came from the Army surplus. It is weather proof, somewhat camouflaged ( od green & tan mix) and the holes in it are small enough to block nearly and debris that would fall into the pond and it is also big enough to cover my pond in one piece (50' x 50'). I am gonna try out the net but if there is a problem then I am gonna go with your idea and get the FG screen. Also what size of pipe did you use and as far as the thread goes, what type of that would I need ? When I say "what type" of thread I literally mean every detail you can give me LOL because I don't think I have ever bought a roll of thread in my entire life :ROFLMAO: Thanks!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used electrical conduit that was left here by builder and it is a 1 1/2 inch pipe .I used some of it as a support for the center of my pergola also to support the 2x4's

Attachments

• pergola build 011.JPG
    pergola build 011.JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 255

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I used electrical conduit that was left here by builder and it is a 1 1/2 inch pipe .I used some of it as a support for the center of my pergola also to support the 2x4's
Is that pvc conduit or galvanized steel ? It's hard to be sure from the image.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is galvinized steel that I coated with a clear finish for the ones over the pond .I gave the pipe 3 coatings of it .But you can also slip the galvinized pipe inside a pvc pipe so no worry .I thought of that after;) DAH dummy me

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
It is galvinized steel that I coated with a clear finish for the ones over the pond .I gave the pipe 3 coatings of it .But you can also slip the galvinized pipe inside a pvc pipe so no worry .I thought of that after;) DAH dummy me
Okay. If the netting does not work I will probably use CPVC conduit because it is much lighter (and cheaper) that galvanized steel and it is also easy to work because you can bend it and shape it without it breaking.

Ask a Question