Farm pond hazard

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok, so as many know, I’ve been trying to dig a new pond, just south of my gazebo. I figured the spot was just about perfect, I’d have to net leaves in the fall, fence it to keep dog out, and watch for heron. I have a new potential hazard. Crop spray. I had a die off in my current pond, which I couldn’t pin point the cause of, but I pulled all the fish out I could catch, and put them in mini pond, tanks, and wading pool, lost a lot, including the butterfly koi I’d bought, but the fresh water is working. I’ve since discovered that cotton, which is what’s being grown to the south, is a chemical heavy crop, sprayed and fertilized, and spayed some more, with growth inhibitors, pesticides, defoiliates, and more. Which means that unless the guy who owns that field will let me know when he’s spraying ahead of time, I risk my water catching chemical drift, killing fish, messing things up big time. So, does anyone else have a pond near cotton fields, and if so, what effects have you seen?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’m thinking of setting up a pond I can cover on the side porch. About 30” deep, 6’ wide, and just under 7’ long, I’ll take up the north end of the porch. That only gives me 909 gallons or so, but if I do bog boxes along the railings, and a big shelf, I’ll have around 950 of circulating water. Found a pond kit on Half off ponds, 15’x15’ liner, pump, filter, whole thing for 531.15, or I can try a diy and make one and just buy components. I’ll run numbers and see which would be easier. I’ll have to make 1 or 2 walls if I go with a liner, if I do the diy I was thinking of making the whole thing, 4 sides.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Not sure what regulations are in place for farmers out your way, but I had all ways been under the impression that heavy sprays could only be done during days that would inhibit drift. I also looked at pond kits, but because I needed a larger liner it was not to be. I did get some things I needed on amazon warehouse deals, they were open box but had no damage, and I did get my skimmer almost half price.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Jamie, if it were me, I would definitely go with the smaller pond, that can be covered, on your porch. Way better to have a safe, small pond than a large one out in the open that those sprays can ruin. You have a good idea there, go with it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Not sure what regulations are in place for farmers out your way, but I had all ways been under the impression that heavy sprays could only be done during days that would inhibit drift. I also looked at pond kits, but because I needed a larger liner it was not to be. I did get some things I needed on amazon warehouse deals, they were open box but had no damage, and I did get my skimmer almost half price.
This is Oklahoma, if the breeze is under 10 mph, it’s an easy day! But my current pond is probably 300 ft from the fence, and the new one would be even closer.
Jamie, if it were me, I would definitely go with the smaller pond, that can be covered, on your porch. Way better to have a safe, small pond than a large one out in the open that those sprays can ruin. You have a good idea there, go with it!
I agree, I can always go back to the other idea if they decide against growing cotton in our area again.

I’m about to go to town, I’ll be pricing what I’d need, and getting some groceries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@JamieB if you are that close to the fence, then going the safest route seems like the better option. Seems sad somehow that you have to alter your lifestyle to suit others. I've had the same issue with a neighbour spraying his trees, this spring when I was in the garden what I thought was a light mist staring was actually spraying. I did say to my neighbors after, as it also happened last year, to please take into consideration that I spent a lot of time outside, and I now also have fish. They were very nice about it, and had no idea the company was spraying so close to me on a windy day. I have been assured it won't happen again, and will inform me ahead of time in the future, spraying away from my garden. Maybe you could ask what they are even spraying, for your own health a least.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@JamieB if you are that close to the fence, then going the safest route seems like the better option. Seems sad somehow that you have to alter your lifestyle to suit others. I've had the same issue with a neighbour spraying his trees, this spring when I was in the garden what I thought was a light mist staring was actually spraying. I did say to my neighbors after, as it also happened last year, to please take into consideration that I spent a lot of time outside, and I now also have fish. They were very nice about it, and had no idea the company was spraying so close to me on a windy day. I have been assured it won't happen again, and will inform me ahead of time in the future, spraying away from my garden. Maybe you could ask what they are even spraying, for your own health a least.
I’ll be contacting him first chance I get, he just owns the field, doesn’t live near there. But I do want to know what is sprayed, and try to get heads up ahead of time, for the sake of my critters. If it happens again after we inform him, and I loose fish and cats, I’ll be paying the 300 necropsy cost so I’ll have a case to make him change to less toxic methods and give warnings. I lost over half my ( way to high population) of barn cats, adults and babies. If it was just kittens, I’d think a bug, virus, some kind of infection; I spent 220 at the vet, the only thing they found outside the expected was coccidia, which would only kill kittens if they were succeptible. So I’ll add a charcoal filter to the pond just in case any chemicals get in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ugh can't imagine what those sprays are doing when you breath. I assume some regulation as far as distance to a residence is in place in most areas.
Most do have regulations, but our property is zoned as farm, and from what I’ve read, the cotton sprays are used even near schools in some areas, people report getting “cotton flu” when sprays are used. Lots of mostly minor issues, but depending on the spray, some are serious. Lots of various sprays are used, based on when, where, cost, pest, etc.

Attachments

• 0791A697-7B6E-42D3-A80C-923F1E30228D.png
    0791A697-7B6E-42D3-A80C-923F1E30228D.png
    162 KB · Views: 168
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@JamieB that sounds like a plan, who knows he may feel absolutely awful if he thinks he caused any harm, and then hopefully make some positive changes in the future so you and the pets can be healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A lot of agriculture took a turn for the worst a long time ago, it's a shame. The makers of roundup are a great example of a horror story against nature.

Ask a Question