Farmers Almanac predicts nasty Winter

Reaction score
Reaction score
bettasngoldfish said:
I better get the snow plow guy paid for the season :cold: He really made out the last two years. Got paid for an entire season and only plowed a handful of times.
Haha yeah believe it or not my company plows snow (obvious now right?) and the last couple Winters were really easy for us too since I only do seasonal contracts. However, when I started plowing about 5 or 6 years ago, my first 2 Winters were near record snowfall Winters so I learned fast and didn't make much money!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well been in the 70's here but they say wednesday it is supposed to get cold with a chance of frost .We usually do not get below 60 during October and frost not until November .So thinking it could be true .I have neglected my pond and my fish but they seem OK .Finally tested my water at 10 am this morning and got a chance to say hello to the fish

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
Haha yeah believe it or not my company plows snow (obvious now right?) and the last couple Winters were really easy for us too since I only do seasonal contracts. However, when I started plowing about 5 or 6 years ago, my first 2 Winters were near record snowfall Winters so I learned fast and didn't make much money!
For private contracts. bill by the "inches" or you can really screw yourself. We did both town contract (1989-2011) and private after the town storm cleanup was complete ... At this stage, we really dont want to plow at all anymore, but still do it for select people (and refuse new clients) ... up to 6" is one price, and for each additional 3" is X amount more.

Reaction score
dieselplower said:
Words like "piercing", "biting", and "frosty" seem to indicate a long Winter ahead. If I remember correctly the Farmers Almanac is correct about 80% of the time, which is better than local news can do on a 24 hour basis. Should be a fun Winter, but not for the fish!

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/cl...ers-almanac-predicts-a-nasty-2013-2014-winter
We had a wet spring, and delayed hurricane season here (lower than usual Tropical storms and Nor'easters)... that usually means a cold/wet snowy winter for us...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
we had a wet cooler than normal summer as by July the grass is usually brown and crispy and it was green as can be .I can tell also it was cooler my electric bills stayed around 110 dollars a month and did not need the air conditioning as much .Since august the air conditioning was not even really on much electric bill went down also

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't buy into it, since its impossible to know that far in advance. I, however, am thinking that after two mild winters where I live, it might be a bad one this year. Also, temps have been below normal all year so it may continue to be that way this winter.

:cold:

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Here things seem pretty much normal for this time of the year, although I would say no record breaking tempertures to report either lately. I been through lots of winters now, I remember when we had minis 40 for over a week and my pond pumps continued working just fine, pumps never quit that year but the heater bill was high and the steam was rolling off the ponds non stop!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I predict a mild winter and it better darn listen to me or I will put a hit out on mother nature and old man winter .That's my final word listen or you go down .BANG BANG :mad:

Reaction score
Squirrels and Birds here are very busy. We have a heavier than usual crop of Holly Berries, Acorns and other winter food supplies! My Grand Mother was convinced that nature was the best predictor of coming weather. So, I am trying to be ahead of the game as in as many ways as possible. With horses we need to be sure we have barns with as much hay as needed. My cupboard is is stocked, my generator and heat pump have been serviced. Hopefully we can enjoy this coming winter. Best of all I now have some fish inside the barn that I can work and worry over......

Ask a Question