Fast growing water plants providing coverage

Reaction score
Country
United States
My recent turtle seemed to cut through the majority of a very large lotus plant I had in a planter in the bottom of my pond, it provided a lot of coverage for the other fish. Now it is down to nothing. I am looking to replace it with another or something else any suggestions. I enjoy the blooms on it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow margojam, that turtle is making itself at home in your pond! I can think of no traditional pond plant that they won't dig into, tear-up or eat. It is just what they do. What USDA Zone do you live in? For the immediate short-term, consider artificial water lilies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My recent turtle seemed to cut through the majority of a very large lotus plant I had in a planter in the bottom of my pond, it provided a lot of coverage for the other fish. Now it is down to nothing. I am looking to replace it with another or something else any suggestions. I enjoy the blooms on it.
consider a variety of plants and have lots of them; I have 4 turtles and they don't make much of a dent anymore, though they do have their favorites which I have to grow in the margin and let grow across the pond; that portion is fine for munching! I have 14 water lilies and never see them doing any damage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
UP until about a month ago I had the pond covered with pads from mainly one lotus plant, that red slider turtle just kept plowing thru it and the sharp claws made for nice scissors. It is down to nothing, I am looking to replace it, THe turtle has currently left the pond but I imagine she will return eventually.

Attachments

• lotus 20210826_073608.jpg
    lotus 20210826_073608.jpg
    261.5 KB · Views: 33

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
UP until about a month ago I had the pond covered with pads from mainly one lotus plant, that red slider turtle just kept plowing thru it and the sharp claws made for nice scissors. It is down to nothing, I am looking to replace it, THe turtle has currently left the pond but I imagine she will return eventually.
Sorry, those are not lotus. Tropical lillies!
John

Reaction score
Country
United States
my current dilemna (sp?) is pesty Racoons, we do trap and release them but they are getting at my koi.. i recently purchased 5 red dot koi and to my avail all gone within a few days. . we even have tried some chicken wire over the pond to deter them. Any recommendations . I seem to go in spurts with them..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my current dilemna (sp?) is pesty Racoons, we do trap and release them but they are getting at my koi.. i recently purchased 5 red dot koi and to my avail all gone within a few days. . we even have tried some chicken wire over the pond to deter them. Any recommendations . I seem to go in spurts with them..
electric fence for varmints like raccoons, mink, otter, dogs, cats, woodchucks...google it. My son put up something like this on his veggie garden one year to deter the woodchucks and it worked well.

smilie sword twirl.gif

Ask a Question