Fat fish!

Reaction score
Hi,

I have moved into a house and inherited a garden pond, so forgive me, because I know very little about ponds and fish.

I've noticed one of the fish (looks a bit like a goldfish, but it's black) looks like he's swallowed a tennis ball (see the photo attached). I don't think it is pregnant because I know it has been like this for about a year.

What's wrong with it... and is there anything I can do to bring it back to normality?

Also, I could do with some advice regarding pond plants. I'd like nice, but cheap (I'm on a very tight budget). What would you suggest?

Attachments

• fat-fish.jpg
    fat-fish.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 658

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
are its scales sticking out? if so its maybe dropsy....go to the illness and disease section theres a thread or 2 on the subject. altho, i dont know the life expectancy of a dropsy victim. but it doesnt seem that over a year is the case tho..eggbound? probably wouldnt last long either. without releasing them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hi robyn and welcome at least you came to the right place to get info and help

Reaction score
If the fish has been like that for a year I wonder if it some sort of tumor? Dropsy would of killed by now.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum
Please introduce yourself and add your location in the UserCP.
Can you take a better photo? Are the eyes bulging/popping out?
How clean is the bottom of this pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Are you sure its not one of the oddball breeds of goldfish like below? There's a lot of varieties that are (un)naturally very round, perhaps the previous owners had one of them? Definitely need a better picture, something up close so we can see the details...
big-gold-fish.jpg

Reaction score
Hmmmm....it does have that pearlscale golfball look. Maybe it is just a mutation. Has anyone seen those odd piggy fish Steve at raingarden is selling? They have the round bellies too.

Reaction score
Yes! I have one just like that in my new pond. It was like that when I bought them. I purchased mine at a bait store so I didn't individually pick them out, I just bought them as a bunch. I noticed that one shortly after. I have only had them for about 2 months but it seems to be doing fine.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum !!
Your fish looks like he ate a ping pong ball

Ask a Question