Fat Koi, Pregnant or sick?

Discussion in 'Fish & Koi Talk' started by glorybug, Jul 6, 2009.

1. glorybug

glorybug

I have a koi that has bloated up. From past experience I first thought it was pregnant but now I'm sure it's Bloat, Pinecone Syndrome or dropsy. None of my other fish are affected

A picture of the fish is here- http://glorybug.blogspot.com/2009/06/fish-one.html

I am a natural pond enthusist, and not an expert. I have cleaned the filter and put tea tree oil and alfalfa in the pond. Would adding more salt help? Is there anything else I can do that is natural?

This fish has lived longer than the info I've researched- even though bloated, it's been almost 3 months and she's still alive. As I've said, I'm no expert- my children think the fish is male.

Any help on fish bloat that is natural? I never take the koi out of the pond, so isolation won't work.

I've heard that sometimes koi with bloat get better for no reason at all. Are there ways to encourage this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

glorybug, Jul 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. glorybug

BBK

Dropsy for sure. Bad thing is dropsy is not a disease, it is a symptom of something worse. Usually a sign of poor water quality.

If you ask the question in the tropical fish emergency section, you will get tons of info. There is an expert named 'wilder' that knows everything there is to know about desieses. If you post the same thing you just posted here over there, she will help you out.
    http://www.fishforums.net/

BBK, Jul 6, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. glorybug

DrCase Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forum..
    My koi lay eggs...
    Some thing is wrong with that koi ...but i dont know what it is

DrCase, Jul 6, 2009
  4. glorybug

DrDave Innovator Moderator

Give her a place to lay her eggs and do a partial water change. If it is eggs, she will lay them. If not, then it may indeed be another condition.

DrDave, Jul 12, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question