ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
We all know that a pond isn't as beautiful without plants surrounding it. I am currently planning my own pond and was wondering what trees, shrubs, and plants that you fellow hobbiest like.

Well?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
depends on whether or not you are thinking perennial or annual. I stay away from anything decidiuos as you don't want leaves dropping. Our pond came with Rose of Sharon which I do not like, I may get rid of them this year. Have lots of Hostas and grasses around the perimiter and a bed where I am starting phlox.

Reaction score
yep, i'll be using 'em to hide the skimmer. Good thing is they don't drop leaves (you just clip 'em short at the end of the season), they establish quickly, are fairly cheap and are tolerant of soil conditions. It's pretty darned hard to kill ornamental grasses.

hap

Reaction score
I like grasses, japanese forrest grass, (yellow varigated) is my favorite, black mondo grass, also some taller ones like carl forester reed grass, etc.
When I get enough posts , I'll post a pic.

Ask a Question