Fear of child falling in?

Reaction score
I know this may sound strange. But i have a lot of children that come to my house to play with my sons. I've caught a couple being here when we were not at home looking for frogs by our pond. I'm afraid that one of them will slip and hit there head on one of the rocks and drown. I know this might sound paranoid, but it has crossed my mind that this could happen. I have talked to the parents of these children so hopefully they will stay out of our yard. But it still scares me.

Reaction score
I've worried about that too. I normally don't have children in my yard, but there are little ones in my neighborhood.

I don't know if there are laws regarding fencing or such for ponds but no matter what if someone gets hurt I'm sure it will be my fault.

Reaction score
Some people put plastic netting just under the surface of the pond and stake it in place to prevent this type of thing.

Reminds me of the story my mother always tells. She had 2 garbage cans sunk into the gardne with some fish in them. My older sister (she was about 3) fell head first into one and couldn't turn around to get out. My eldest sister (5) grabbed her overalls and hauled her out, saving her life. My mom got screens after that.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your comments. I will definetly be looking into these screens. I never even realized that they sold something like that. that's acutally a very good idea. Well you guys have a great holiday.

Reaction score
We have a creek and a large pond. After fighting with them for two years, we finally made the rule that the kids are not allowed near the water without a buddy. Of course, it's not a problem for them to be in ours but I guess it's different with the smaller ponds.

Reaction score
I'd still be afraid my boys didn't follow the rule about having a buddy. :)

I have to be very watchful, but my boys can't go outside without me anyway.

Reaction score
I would put up a fence or netting until the kids are older and understand why they can't go near the pond to look for frogs by themselves. Having a simple locked gate and fence will keep most kids out and at least then you are taking some steps to prevent an accident or tragedy.

Reaction score
It's almost funny how much we worry these days. I mean it's good, but it's funny compared to what our parent's did with us. Am I the only one who slept in the back window of the car while traveling?

You shouldn't have to worry about the kids getting into your pond because they just shouldn't go there. The reality is that they might and I think a gated yard might be the way to go.

Reaction score
You could erect a low fence around it, you know, a foot or so high just to differentiate between the two areas. When I was a kid, I wouldn't walk over a small fence like that, I'm sure. Just because it's obvious you're not meant to. But I suppose it depends on how old they are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
To everyone worried about kids falling in their pond: I hope you will find a way to make it safe! Kids don't listen to rules, if something they try to fight against them and do exactly what you ask them not to....better be safe than sorry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I recently built a new pond. I created steps on one end to make it easy to go in and out because I was worried of the attractive nuisance issue. Nothing is fool proof but I feel if someone is old enough to climb over the fence into my yard they should be able to get out easily if they fell in. See steps on left side in picture before my liner was installed. Honestly I think this is good practice and I feel everyone should make an easy way to climb out of their ponds and they should not have shear walls creating a deep water situation for the entire pond. If we don't do things responsibly the government will find a way to make us do it with their rules whether we like them or not.
20160826_122015.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My pond has sheer sides, so we fenced it in. Obviously someone could climb the fence, but we also have a 6 foot fence around our yard.

We've had two of our elderly dogs, almost fall into the pond too....just not taking chances.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I've talked about this before elsewhere. My yard isn't one you just wander into accidentally. A kid would have to very deliberately climb up a hill covered in scratchy juniper and then cross my front yard. Or they would have to go up my very long driveway, up my steps and around my screened in front porch to the side, in front of my living room window.

My pond won't be deep, but I know it only takes a small amount to drown in. I'm going to have steps on all sides but one.

If I find that it seems to be luring people up and onto my private property that close to my house, I can easily do a decorative fence between the corner of the porch and the stone wall that runs along the back of the pond site.

I'm home all day as well, so I think all those factors together make it at least a little less likely that someone would wander by and fall in. I'm more worried about the deer that cruise around at night, eating my plants. I think one of them would be more likely to fall in than a person! (And boy oh boy, I hope that doesn't happen! Flying hooves and deer panic would be scary!)

Ask a Question