Feed fish during a winter warm-up?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Howdy; I'm in eastern NC. I have a "kiddie pool" on my patio, and it has some goldfish and mosquito fish. The pool was frozen over for days lately, but now -- it's getting into the 70s during the day and ~60 degrees at night.

I've always heard fish shouldn't be fed during winter. My fish, though, seem to be searching for food (now that the ice has thawed). We're to have another 4-5 days of warmth before the next freeze, so .... would it be smart to feed the fish some today/tomorrow, and then stop? I'm not secure in thinking the fish metabolism is so slow that they can go for months without any nutrition at all. In a natural environment, wouldn't they have some [limited] food access during the winter anyway?

Thx much for any insights, ideas, data, etc. And happy/prosperous/healthy 2023, too!

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You are right to be cautious. Here is a recent thread where a lot of the same issues were discussed. Sounds like the temps you mentioned are for the water in the pool? That is the critical measure.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I don’t usually feed my fish much if at all in the winter, but that is because I am not out there as much. It is illogical to think that supplemental feeding will cause food to rot in there gut and get them sick, their guts aren’t selective in what to digest and process or not, they are feeding all winter long just their metabolism is so slow they don’t need as much food to function. This just what science says, not an opinion.

Water temps below or above 50 doesn’t matter to me, if I am out there and the fish are actively wanting food I will toss them a bit to see if they eat (they do) and don’t have any dying because of it(this is anecdotal as well). I currently have a sturgeon in the pond they need to be fed(sinking pellets) every couple days even in winter, I have noticed even with ice on the pond some my other fish orfes/koi/goldfish are coming over and feeding on the pellets with the sturgeon and the ponds water temp in all likelihood is well below 50 as there is ice over a portion of it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You are right to be cautious. Here is a recent thread where a lot of the same issues were discussed. Sounds like the temps you mentioned are for the water in the pool? That is the critical measure.

Thx much; no feeding, then. The air temp was what I mentioned in my post -- 70's during the day. low 60's at night. The water temp, probably ~50-55, max. Air temps are to get back to freezing at night at week's end, so .... the fish'll make do.

Mitch

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unless your kiddie pool is not doing well and the water quality is bad . You'll have algea growing along the sides. Gold fish can usualy thrive with no food at all from us. But seeing as your using a kiddie pool your filtration maybe a bit weak.
if I am out there and the fish are actively wanting food I will toss them a bit to see if they eat (they do)
It's right at the temp line and below that can be a riot watching the fish try to catch a floating piece of food. Lots of lip movement hoping something falls in

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thx much; no feeding, then. The air temp was what I mentioned in my post -- 70's during the day. low 60's at night. The water temp, probably ~50-55, max. Air temps are to get back to freezing at night at week's end, so .... the fish'll make do.

Mitch
Water temp is the measurement you’re looking for. Air warms and cools quickly - water is more temperate stable.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have Hornwart and Anacharis in my pond and they eat that during the winter, I have stems flout up all winter long so I know that they are feeding on that during the cold months.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Every time i lost fish is when i fed them in cold weather.... it will take weeks for them to develop some sort of infection in their guts since cold weather slows everything in them down.

Ask a Question