Feed or dont feed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Where I live we just recently experienced four or five days of heavy frost in a row. The plants in my pond of course we’re heavily damaged so I removed them all. After the heavy frost we experienced a week of much warmer weather. The question I have is should I still Feed the fish if the water temperature increases and I see the fish moving around?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The question I have is should I still Feed the fish if the water temperature increases and I see the fish moving around?
Go by the water temperature. Ours is 52f this am I would not feed them at all. Above 55 feed some say above 50.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Where I live we just recently experienced four or five days of heavy frost in a row. The plants in my pond of course we’re heavily damaged so I removed them all. After the heavy frost we experienced a week of much warmer weather. The question I have is should I still Feed the fish if the water temperature increases and I see the fish moving around?
Hello!
My fish went into hiding a month ago after a few days of very cold weather. We didn't have much in the way of frost, but the temperature of my small pond plummeted nonetheless. Since then we've had some positively balmy days and the fish have ventured out from under their shelter. I've twice offered a tiny bit of floating food when I've seen them out, but after five minutes scooped it out of the water, untouched. The last thing you want is uneaten food moldering away poisoning the water.
This is the first year since these fish have been in this pond that they've actually gone into winter mode before any substantial frost or snow. So yes, its a worry if it seeems a bit early for your situation, luckily, having read lots of posts about over-wintering fish on the forum I've learned that its quite natural for the fish, and indeed beneficial, if food is witheld once the temps get low.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Typically, once my water temp has dropped into the lower 50s & the fish are showing a much reduced interest (or no interest) in food, I quit feeding and do not resume feeding until the spring when temps are on the way up & going to stay that way.

If we get such a prolonged warm up during the winter that they actually start begging, I might toss them a few Cheerios, but that's it. My fish don't 'ask' for food unless the water temp is over 55 degrees or so, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
they'll be fine, esp if you have UW surfaces with algae on them. I doubt your warm weather will last long enough to make a difference. I'd rather they go into pokey state torpor with a lot of higher protein food in their guts.

smile-alt1-merged-layers3.gif

Last edited:

Ask a Question