Feed them - dont feed them??

Discussion in 'Pond Archive' started by wibble, Dec 27, 2007.

1. wibble

wibble Guest

With all this quirky weather - really cold then.... quite mild - what's
    the rule for feeding? Mild ady - so the koi are moving about a bit - as
    soon as I think I should feed them the weather breaks and goes minus
    again overnight - should I just leave them alone until spring and the
    weather warms up and becomes stable again?
    wibble, Dec 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. wibble

k Guest

Rule of thumb ~ stop feeding for the winter
    when the water temp reaches about 55 degrees.
    Feed again in the spring when water temp stays
    above 55 degrees consistently.

k :)
    k, Dec 27, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. wibble

Feb 1, 2015
    Ah! that's the very thing I wanted to know the answer to. I have the quirky weather too. 3 days of warm when the fish are moving around and seem to be looking for food. Then there'll be 2 days cold and they're inactive Then maybe another 2 days of warmth and 2 days of cold and slight variations on this pattern. This has been going on for a few weeks. So- o-o
    the answer is the pond water temperature has to be consistently warm (when it's obviously Spring time), before you feed them. They'll just have to nibble on any algae they may find on the rocks. I suppose that way their digestive systems won't
    have trouble if they have remaining fish food in their stomachs when it suddenly turns too cold and their systems are not able
    to finish digesting.
    Thanks k - I just needed a prompt in the right digestion - I mean direction.
    Bulldog, Feb 1, 2015
  4. wibble

Sep 3, 2013
    My rule of thumb has always been 50F. I've always feed them wheat germ based food and soak it first or Honey Nut Cheerios
    the last few weeks at these 50F to 60F temps.....
    barryian, Jan 1, 2016
  5. wibble

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Oct 10, 2014
    A "rule of thumb' is just that. It has no basis in scientific fact.
    It is a scientific fact that as temperature drops metabolic processes in cold-blooded animals likewise diminish. Lower metabolism means less demand for food, but not an absence of that demand. It has been proven that Koi (carp) do continue to feed at temperatures as low as 34F, but eat little and less often.
    When the metabolic processes are still relatively high, fish will display a 'feeding response'. They will actively seek/demand food. It is perfectly safe to feed them only reduce the amount of feed and the frequency of feeding.
    Also keep in mind that water temperature is slow to respond to ambient atmospheric temperature. Water is slow to change temperature whether cooling off or warming up. Always use an accurate pond thermometer.
    Meyer Jordan, Jan 1, 2016
    Smaug likes this.
  6. wibble

Smaug God makes perfect. I just dug the hole

Nov 4, 2015
    It's not the air temp it's the water temp yiu watch. I feed when I know from experience when the water temp will stay about 45f for a few days. No cold snap drops my water temp below 40f unless it lasts a week. I've been feeding once daily since we'll before xmas. If they can digest it then it means they are using it. Better they use the immediate energy of the food then have to burn valuable fat reserves later in the winter.
    Smaug, Jan 1, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question