Feeding 2 new Koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
I recently added 2 koi that are 3-4" . I would like to maximize their growth and will be feeding them Omega one pellets twice a day plus occassional fruit and veggies. The koi were added to 20 goldfish. Prior to adding the koi the goldfish ate what the pond provided.
My concern with feeding the koi and now the goldfish is there will be a goldfish population explosion if the fish are not eating the eggs during spawning. Its been mentioned recently in other threads to stop feeding when you notice spawning activity to help control the fish population. But I did not read any posts recommending how long to stop feeding . Those who follow this practice or anyone with info can you tell me how long you stop feeding when you notice spawning activity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gordo I have always fed my fish yet my goldfish population went up 10 fold in 5 years. There are lots of other factors besides just feeding. How much vegetation or rocks are there and are there good hiding places for eggs or fry? I think if you want your fish pretty hungry then stopping for 4 or 5 days makes sense. Conversely i have found my fish pretty disinterested in food when they are busy spawning. Also if you have tadpoles, dragonfly larvae or other egg eating creatures that will keep the population down too. I have never mixed goldfish and Koi but i know some people do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a/b
Country
United States
Gordo I have always fed my fish yet my goldfish population went up 10 fold in 5 years. There are lots of other factors besides just feeding. How much vegetation or rocks are there and are there good hiding places for eggs or fry? I think if you want your fish pretty hungry then stopping for 4 or 5 days makes sense. Conversely i have found my fish pretty disinterested in food when they are busy spawning. Also if you have tadpoles, dragonfly larvae or other egg eating creatures that will keep the population down too. I have never mixed goldfish and Koi but i know some people do.
I do have plenty of vegetation so there is plenty of hiding places. Over the years I have seen dragonflys so I'm assuming there would be dragonfly larvae in the pond. Started with a goldfish pond and decided to expand the pond so koi could thrive. I considered going koi only but couldn't part with the goldfish. I have read on this forum other members having both and some eventually getting rid of their goldfish. So we will see how it goes.

Ask a Question