Feeding and skimmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hidey-ho, friends!

Yesterday I spent a very funny hour, watching a woman try to catch her fish with zero success. She offered to donate some of her baby goldfish to my pond. She had a net over half of the pond and uncovered the other half, so she could catch them with a big net. She didn't want any help -- she is very protective of her fish kids and wanted to do it herself. It really was hysterical. It was as if the fish thought the entire thing was a game. Or maybe an exercise program for both fish and owner!

I left without a single fish -- but a good question was raised. She wanted to know how I would be feeding them. She didn't like the answer that Mother Nature would feed them. "These guys will need food!" We discussed how the feeding "event" of the day makes them more sociable and visible. I am all for that, since my 4 little feeder fish are invisible. I have to sneak out to even get a glimpse of orange before they dart into the cave.

I am happy to feed them, but how will I do that with a skimmer? I feel like I'd basically be feeding the skimmer and not the fish. If they are shy and need the presence of food to encourage them to venture out, it will take some time. The skimmer would just suck it all up.

How do you folks with skimmers handle this? Should I turn off the pump during feeding time? Maybe if I end up with some medium sized pond fish that are already used to being fed, they will encourage the other fish to join in?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yup - those are the best options, at least until your fish get used to feeding time. Then they will gobble it up before it gets to the skimmer. We feed in small batches so the fish do have time before the food floats away. You'll soon learn what they can eat in the time they have before it gets skimmed out.

I am chuckling at the lady trying to catch her fish - been there! I can catch mine, but never the one that I want to catch! If I get in the pond, they will swim right into my hands. But get the net out and it's cat and mouse all day long!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
She didn't want anyone in the pond, standing on the liner. I offered to get in and herd, but she wouldn't hear of it! She said her fish love the little flat skimmer net and play with it when she is skimming. But they certainly knew the difference between that net and the other one! They are no dummies!

Ask a Question