Feeding and water changes

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Iam currently having 8 young golds ie 2 2" and 6 4".being new just a week I need advice on how frequently iam supposed to feed them,how frequently do I change water and is it full change or what %,how often do I clean the tank,how often do I clean my submersible filter ...

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
You want to be doing small water changes each day for the first 2 weeks until your filter kicks in. Around 20%.
After that usually 50-30% each week or two. Really depends on the load. So go buy a water test kit and do your own judgement.
When cleaning the filter use aquarium water, never tap water. Usually once a month.

Also make sure you dechlorinate the water or the beneficial bacteria won't take off. Try add done bio balls to speed up the cycle

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Kenya
You want to be doing small water changes each day for the first 2 weeks until your filter kicks in. Around 20%.
After that usually 50-30% each week or two. Really depends on the load. So go buy a water test kit and do your own judgement.
When cleaning the filter use aquarium water, never tap water. Usually once a month.

Also make sure you dechlorinate the water or the beneficial bacteria won't take off. Try add done bio balls to speed up the cycle
Hey thanks,what's done bio balls?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Iam currently having 8 young golds ie 2 2" and 6 4".being new just a week I need advice on how frequently iam supposed to feed them,how frequently do I change water and is it full change or what %,how often do I clean the tank,how often do I clean my submersible filter ...

People will disagree on how much you change water on tank fish all the time. Look at this chart:

n-cycle.gif

You're not safe till you hit day 35.... When you change your tank water, you add a dechlorinator like Prime and that holds the ammonia for 3 or 4 days. My advise is that the first 2 weeks you change 90% of the water every 3-4 days then after that you do 90% 5-6 days. On day 35, your water changes can become weekly at a smaller percentage but in my opinion the fish will get sick if you don't do 90% weekly.

PS: 105 liters = 29 gallons, which means it's good for two gold fish.... Your fish will get sick as they grow. Downsize to two fish or increase the size of the tank.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thanks a lot,just read it and it's so informative.problem is getting it in kenya
People will disagree on how much you change water on tank fish all the time. Look at this chart:

n-cycle.gif

You're not safe till you hit day 35.... When you change your tank water, you add a dechlorinator like Prime and that holds the ammonia for 3 or 4 days. My advise is that the first 2 weeks you change 90% of the water every 3-4 days then after that you do 90% 5-6 days. On day 35, your water changes can become weekly at a smaller percentage but in my opinion the fish will get sick if you don't do 90% weekly.

PS: 105 liters = 29 gallons, which means it's good for two gold fish.... Your fish will get sick as they grow. Downsize to two fish or increase the size of the tank.

2 goldfish for 105 litres tank seems low. What if you have the ultimate filtration system. How many goldfish then, still two?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
2 goldfish for 105 litres tank seems low. What if you have the ultimate filtration system. How many goldfish then, still two?

4 in the first year maybe...

Remember they grow... golden rule is 20 gallons for the first and then gallons per additional.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
4 in the first year maybe...

Remember they grow... golden rule is 20 gallons for the first and then gallons per additional.

Definitely can agree on that. Then you see tiny bowls being sold for goldfish. Cruelty, how are they not banned!

Ask a Question