Feeding Comets

Reaction score
Country
United States
we currently have ten comets in 2500 gallon pond , down from 55 comets of ALL sizes a few years ago . we've been feeding '' new life spectrum goldfish'' food . it's about gone and i wondered if there is something better we could buy to try . the growth rate of the comets has been close to zero or at least very slow but color is good . i did a search but surprisingly found little info , which might be due to my lack of skill on the darn computer . also would be interested in suggestions for colorful compatible roommates for the comets for next summer . thanks for your time . . . peace

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
how old are they and how long ? u seem to be experienced in comets i think u might know this already tha they grow to a certain length very quickly then they stop or some of them with superior genes will continue to grow but very slow , difficult to notice may b inch or half inch per year .
u can add few koi for colourful tank mates

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
I mix up what I feed.
I know that a good staple food is all that is needed. But I like to feed my fish a variety of things.
Some plant based. Some not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
how old are they and how long ? u seem to be experienced in comets i think u might know this already tha they grow to a certain length very quickly then they stop or some of them with superior genes will continue to grow but very slow , difficult to notice may b inch or half inch per year .
u can add few koi for colourful tank mates
I have noticed this with mine. When I put them in the pond, they went from 1 inch to about 7 inches super quick. I'm guessing this is their full-grown size. They seem to get a little "thicker" around the middle (like me) but other than that, I'm not noticing any more growth.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've heard that slower is better when growing goldfish. They say they live longer and are healthier if not allowed to grow super fast. Heck I didn't feed mine at all for years and they did fine. Now they are getting spoiled but all I give them is a little Wardleys food in Summer and in Spring/Fall give them some Blackwater Premium Cool water food. They have nice color and look good and now they love me :love:

Ask a Question