feeding fish green peas

PS3

Reaction score
i was reading a maginze on fish ponds today and the women said to feed the gold fish& kio green peas i have read this hear also. but here is the question she said to cook the peas. so should we cook them or just give it to the fish raw ?? thanks all

Reaction score
If you want to see a koi dance, feed them peas!

You do not feed raw peas, you feed canned baby peas. I guess you could steam them and then remove the peas to feed, but it's just way easier to buy a can.

Reaction score
My local koi store told me there are several snacks that fish love:

Here is the list: Peas, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Wheat Bread, Orange Slices, Romaine Lettus, Cherrios cereal, Lemon slices, Prawns, worms
ALL FRUIT MUST BE SEEDLESS.
My lil gus love cherrios.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
PS3 said:
so are the canned baby peas cook or do i have to boil them lol
thanks all

canned peas are already cooked ...i use frozen peas and put them in the microwave for a min then pop the outer shell off as they cant digest that too well

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
for fry...baby food peas are a nice option, carrots too....not the chunks the puree (first foods).. just a little glob, mine really go for it, i mix them with powdered fish food..to a paste.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I had a go at the tin of garden peas this afternoon I gave them a quick rinse under tap water and hand fed my koi they were a little dubious at first but then feed me feed me feed me. will do this as a treat every so often thankyou to the original poster as I have never heard of fish eating peas it is our engish tradition to have FISH with our PEAS so who is Laughing Now !

Reaction score
LOL! Roadrunner!!! You made me laugh!

It's like when my father hears about my finny pets and the pond--"what? you have a pond full of very large fish and you DON'T EAT them?"

LOL!

Reaction score
From what I have heard a Koi would eat a brick with...........Hmmmm... What is that saying again koikeepr?

Anyway, I will feed our aquarium fish shelled frozen peas. Just keep a bag in the freezer and thaw what you want under running tap water. For the wee aquarium fish you would want to shell them, but I imagine a Koi would shell and all. Besides the nutritional benefits, peas act as a laxitive. This helps flush them out and aids in preventing bacterial infections. Some of the people I've dealt with in the past years that kept Koi or goldfish would feed them cucumbers, zucchini and other summer squash, lettuce and the list goes on.

Reaction score
They will eat the shell, but if the shell falls off as you toss it--they do ignore it. Try it and spit it out kinda thing. The shell is hard to digest.

And, yes, the benefits of peas is that it does help in digestion. I see lots more poop in the sieve after feeding peas. This is particularly important with goldfish, who can often get, er, backed up.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
is it ok to feed them peas every day ...i feed them to the fish at lunch time, soon as they see me they start swimming down the bottom waiting for the peas to fall, sometimes i feed them there food instead and they carry on swimming at the bottom ...as if to say we dont want that old food we want Peas !!!

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
If you want to see a koi dance, feed them peas!

You do not feed raw peas, you feed canned baby peas. I guess you could steam them and then remove the peas to feed, but it's just way easier to buy a can.

Can you post the exact brand of canned baby peas that you use? As I asked earlier, wouldn't canned peas have a very high sodium content?

koikeepr said:
It's like when my father hears about my finny pets and the pond--"what? you have a pond full of very large fish and you DON'T EAT them?"

Yeah some people have said that to me before. I reply "I don't know who in the world would want to eat carp! EWW!"

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Can you buy them already shelled?

I would think that they would be mush without the shell. Maybe split peas and rehydrate them? I don't remember if they have the shell on them or not.

Ask a Question