Feeding goldfish spinach and zucchini

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
Well, tried to get these chow hounds to eat healthy and so far no luck. Blanched and cooled veggies and gave them small mouth sized chunks. They took them, swam around a bit then spit them out. So tried adding a small amount of garlic powder as recommended here and got the same result. Any suggestions.
Hope the new trap door snails find what they spit out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So nice that you're trying to spoil them! But, most likely, those fish grew up on flakes and pellets and that's what they're used to. I stick with those foods because, even though every crumb is eaten, if any of it did go unfound, it won't break down and cloud my water. They get algae, bugs, fish/frog eggs, and tadpoles as snacks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, tried to get these chow hounds to eat healthy and so far no luck. Blanched and cooled veggies and gave them small mouth sized chunks. They took them, swam around a bit then spit them out. So tried adding a small amount of garlic powder as recommended here and got the same result. Any suggestions.
Just like kids! They might slowly develop a taste for fresh veggies. Agree, try various types but make sure they are hungry first.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

I have given frozen peas to my goldfish and they enjoyed them. I put a small quantity in the microwave in a bowl for about a minute to defrost them. Cooled them with cold water and took off their skins. Chopped them into small bits and threw then in the pond and the fish loved them and ....good for their digestion too!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My fish love worms but I won't give them a worm from my yard unless it is half dead and I know it can't survive anymore in this world,lol!
I'm sure they find those worms that somehow end up in the pond on there own also.

I have thrown in water melon rind w/some pink flesh still on it and they love picking at that too. It floats and so easy to get out when they are done.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some of my goldfish seem to really enjoy fresh orange slices.

I rinse an orange, slice it up leaving the peel on. Drop the slices in for the fish then once they are picked clean I remove them from the water.

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Some of my goldfish seem to really enjoy fresh orange slices.

I rinse an orange, slice it up leaving the peel on. Drop the slices in for the fish then once they are picked clean I remove them from the water.
Whoops super newbe here but how old/large must the goldies be when given these kinds of food..
I’d like mine to have treat now and then but they are not so big yet...

Ask a Question