Feeding koi

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hi all! I was wondering how much should I be feeding my koi? Im worried I'll over feed them, and create problems. New to ponds, recently bought a house with a koi pond. Also, what are the other fish in my pond? Was wondering if anyone could identify them for me. (If more detailed photos are needed, I can probably scoop some of the smaller fish into a bucket tomorrow afternoon and take some pictures.)
Thanks!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Looks like a mix of koi and goldfish.

We feed ours a bit at a time. Initially they are in a feeding frenzy and gobble it all up. Once they start to slow down a bit, we know they've had enough.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you know how many fish and how many gallons of water the pond is and what kind of filter and do you have a test kit .Congrats on the purchase of your new pond and your home .At least you have a nice set up compared to some on here that buy a home and pond .I only feed my koi 3 or 4 times a week

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
few ways to do , 1st find out how many fishes over 5inch u have . (once daily , 2 times in warmer dats, in cold once in 2 days , in mid winter no food )
- a pinch or 2 for each fish Or
- give them some food and see if they finish in 2 mins , if left then give them less next time .

if u have many fishes then make sure all the fishes come to u when dinner time or spread some food in all corners little bit so all can hav there share , not just big ones . over feeding can make water quality problems but lesser is safe for start .

other fishes can b goldfishes

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Since this is an established pond. Determining the proper amount of food supplied to fish daily can get fairly technical: Number of fish, size of fish, water temperature et. al.
The general consensus is to feed no more than the fish can eat in Five (5) minutes, immediately removing uneaten food. This can be spread over multiple feedings in a 24 hour period. In fact, fish prefer to eat this way.

Ask a Question