Feeding medicated food to healthy fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm about to start feeding medicated food to my sick Shubunkin, in isolation! I'm wondering if the rest of my fish (all koi but 1) in the pond would also benefit from it, since they had gone through major stress these passed few weeks, but I don't know if there could be negative consequences if healthy fish eat medicated food, so I thought I'd better ask first

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Won't harm them at all .I add medicated food to there spring and fall diet and add garlic so it helps them ward off diseases .I hope others chime in on there take on it .But since this fish was in your pond I don't think it will hurt to make sure they stay healthy .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Medicated food is a treatment not a prophylactic. It will not harm the other fish nor will it help them if they do not have a bacterial infection.
Sissy is correct about garlic. It has be proven to bolster the immune system in fish. That will help!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you both! :)
how do you introduce garlic? I see others feeding all kinds of things to their fish, mine are not so willing to taste new things!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have bought food with garlic and krill in it and also you can get powdered garlic or organic garlic .i have a vitamin oil that i got from dr foster and smith that helps the garlic stick to the food .The food I got with garlic in it was blackwater cool season food and got it off petsolutions .com . but I still add more garlic each time i feed them .Helps them feed better and helps them fight off diseases

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Your fish eat whatever you want to feed them, no problem? I feed mine Omega one, seems to be the only kind they are happy to get and non of it ends up in the skimmer box

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
What is the name of this medicated food Gemma NTLabs do a very good medicated koi food which your fish would eat without a problem .
If you cant get Liquid garlic like the Seachems Garlic Guard that @bettasngoldfish righty suggests :-

http://www.seachem.com/garlicguard.php

Or you can make your own by ligidizing a number of cloves of garlic then adding it to the food at each meal , Garlic helps protect your fish against parasites which is a win win for them . :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks Dave, I'll keep that in mind!
I ordered this >>> 5 Lb. Ken's Premium Sinking Pellets with Spirulina ..I had to order something and didn't know what kind to get, so I went with the first brand someone suggested to me (I believe it was Faebinder ) I hope my fish will eat it, (I haven't gotten it yet) and if they don't, I'll try your kind next!

Ask a Question