FEEDING PROCEDURES

Reaction score
I was in a large pet store at feeding time and in the Koi tank they had a button that turned off the aerator and the pumps so the tank was perfectly still, as soon as this happened the Koi went straight to the top and were ready to eat. I noticed this didn't swirl the food all over the tank and the fish were able to feed calmly. What are your feelings on this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The thinking behind that is that it prevents the food from being removed by the filter before the fish have a chance to eat it.
The fish get conditioned to look for food when the pumps are turned off.
Most aquarium controllers have a feed setting so you don't have to unplug a lot of devices at once.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Can you describe your desired setup and geographical location?
I see you were asking about grow lights earlier. Winter temperatures and what you want to keep in an outdoor shed will have a big impact on what advice you are given.:)

Reaction score
I have been planing my indoor pond for about 6 months now and I'm about 2 weeks away from filling my tank. I started with wanting a 300 gal stock tank and then decided that was not big enough. I then decided I wanted a 1000 gal open top tank until I discovered I could not get it through the door. So I the settled on a 660 gal 38" deep 72" dia open top tank. I will be using a Pondmaster Mag Pump and Fish Mate filter along with an Aquascape Pond Aerator. I have made an octagon frame from 3/4" PVC and covered it with netting to prevent from jumpers, I will also installing T5 grow lighting. All of this and a bunch of plants will go into my 12" shed to make a sort of Zen room. Please post any knowledge that will help. I am in Springfield Illinois but just moved here from San Diego, California so feeling a little like a fish out of the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
You have a number of different threads going on the same subject of starting your shed pond.
I suggest you try to stick to 1 and focus on that.:)

Reaction score
Jeff it doesn't sound like your pond has a skimmer so I wouldn't worry about turning the pump off for feeding. I have 2 ponds and 3 aquariums and have never once turned a pump off to feed.

Ask a Question