Feeding?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hey gang! I think I know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask anyway. Here in the sunny south (zone 7b) we are having Spring. We are supposed to be near 80 this week. Next week will be mid 60s for highs. I've uncovered the pond and have been doing a few chores. The fish think it is time to eat. They are very sociable, curious, and waiting on me to give them some food. Up till recently, they've been very slow moving and hanging around near the bottom, going into the cave at night. I'm quite sure we'll be having more cold weather. Winter isn't over -- not even down here.

My brain tells me I should NOT feed them just yet. But the happy pond lover in me wants to give them a little snack.

Go ahead and use restraint? Or make them wait a while longer, till the plants are all really growing and taking up nutrients?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Check your water temperature. That is the guide for feeding. The weather is going to be up and down for the next couple of months. 55* for a week and I would possible give a little wheat germ food.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think a lot depends on if you're talking goldfish or koi... goldfish are fine without being fed much if at all. Ever. Especially in a well-established pond. Full grown koi would be another story.

But in either case, do check your water temp if you're wondering about feeding. Or toss a few pellets in and see what they do. I know people say fish shouldn't eat below 55 degrees - but mine graze constantly, so I think they know when they should and shouldn't be eating honestly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I do think they eat constantly. I'm less worried about giving them the food and whether or not they will be OK -(in terms of their digestive systems) - it never really gets cold enough here for them to stop their fishy business for more than a day or so. My bigger worry is adding food to the pond while the natural filtration is a little impaired, due to all the plants being dormant. I'm nervous about throwing off the balance.
But gosh they are so cute and hard to resist when they are at the edge, begging!!!!! Thanks for the answers, everyone!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My poor lil fish go food less for months, from me, but I see them grazing all winter on the plants. They are all fat and sassy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I don't regularly feed mine, either. During the warm months, especially, I like to keep them eating algae and eggs (to control the population.). They are more on a "special treat now and then" diet. I did give them a treat yesterday. Just about 15 micro pellets. There are about 21 fish, so some folks got a snack - some didn't. The plants are actually starting to grow, which I didn't realize till I sat out there a while. I have quite a few lily leaves headed up to the surface. The water Hawthorne has been growing all winter, and has 3 flowers. I need to get in and pull out some excess iris that have jumped the pot. I love watching the pond!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are your plants green?
They are a greenish gray.

Here is a picture from today.

Ask a Question