Feeling overwhelmed by info: balcony turtle pond planning

Reaction score
Hi all,
I feel a lot like i did when I started planted aquariums and salt water reef aquariums. After reading here and other spots for a while, I thought to trouble the collected wisdom here with my very rough plans and solicit your input and advice.

I have a pair of red eared slider turtles, about 5" long each, and I am intending to move them from the 40 gallon aquarium in my living room to the balcony on my condo. Though in south florida, the balcony is partially protected: facing South with a complete West wall, against which is the intended location. There will be a metal hanging/vine covered plant arch over it giving additional sun protection. I have checked with those in the know, and I am good to go with the weight in this location.

I am looking to do a 60 - 100 gallon pond, about 4' x 2', maybe 12" or 18" deep. This will sit on the tile floor. Long term I am considering a plant wall behind it as well. I am looking at purchasing a preformed rectangular container and building a wood enclosure around it. This is the leading contender:

http://www.thepondoutlet.com/home/tpo/page_6282_145/plastic_tub_by_laguna.html

I am not yet sure what to do with filtration. For the time being, I have an Eheim canister filter that I assume I can put on their, but am open to long term solution recommendations. I will be looking for a trickle down water fall type feater against the back wall as well.

So... any suggestions? Some specific questions:
1. filter method recommendations
2. enclosure DIY recomendations: 2x4 skeleton with cedar planks and top? Does the skeleton actual provide support to the plastic or is it purely decorative?
3. Should I put anything under the plastic container?
4. Should i abandon the container and go with a frame and liner instead? Considering their is know earth hole to support it, I thought it best to stay with

Not sure what else.

Reaction score
I have a 6" red slider that was in a 20 gallon tank with whatever cheap filter came with the package. I could never keep the tank clean. We released him into our pond and he loves it!!
I've had my pond for 8 years and it has always been green. I made a DIY Skippy filter for my pond and within a week it was clear!
My point is, I wonder if you could make your own mini version of the Skippy filter for your turtles! I bet it would work......

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Osteomata; the container you are considering is entirely self-supporting, so any wood siding would be strictly for looks. It can sit directly on the concrete floor. I would stay away from a liner if I were you since liners have a lot of folds which not only trap dirt, but could also provide a foot-hold to help your turtles escape. As for a filter, I use a Laguna box filter because I had one on hand, and it handles the by-products of my four 8" red-ears quite well. Any home-made filter in the 10-15 gal. range would be suitable also. I keep my turtles in a 300 gal. Rubbermaid stock tank. And by the way, sunshine is essential to your turtles' well-being. John

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would think with a canister fliter if you pump back to a plant box and run the water slow that might be enough filtering for turtles. water changes are really a must for them in enclosed systems and your not nearly as concerned about specific water parameters with turtles like fish, just clean as to keep bacteria and fungus out breaks down. I would consider possibly using a small tetra UV light, It will help keep algae under control and not cause any ill effects to your turtles. I like HARO's idea of the stock tank, far easier to keep clean, virtually impossible for a turtles claws to damage, it's round sides will also add to the turtles exersise as it swims. also most have a hole in the bottom you can install a drain valve and hook up to that would make changing water a very simple task.

Reaction score
Thanks for both the replies, looks like I am on the right track then. I am relooking some of the Rubbermaid stock tanks, but I am leaning toward the bigger of the two Laguna preformed rectangle ponds. I think I have most of what I need to at least get things rolling.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Laguna carries three sizes of the rectangular basin, 60, 108, and 250 gal. I'd go as large as possible, but with water weighing 10 lb. per gallon you may have a problem on a balcony. Keep in mind, though, that you won't be filling this basin to the top. keeping the water about 3" below the rim prevents turtles from getting over the edge; the last thing you want is a turtle doing a swan dive off your balcony! And don't forget a flat rock or log above the water for sunning. This helps to prevent skin parasites in your pets, but make sure they can't reach the rim from their sunning spot. Turtles are great at piling on top of each other to get where they want to go. John

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Wd had 3 slider turtles in our 75 gal tank that we moved to our pond when it was finished. Turtles were the best thing for our pond including the fish. They helped jump start our pond plants by creating a large amount of waste for the plants to thrive off of. They are smart things so make sure they won't be able to get out. Ours got out several times but the fenced backyard kept them from getting too far. I agree with the skippy filter. That's what I have on my pond and the water is crystal clear. Make sure they can get several hours of direct sun each day. Our pond has direct sun all morning until about 1 pm. Good luck!

Reaction score
Yeah I have plenty of turtle experience, but its the transition to the pond that is throwing me. that combined with the two other major home projects I'm working. No rest for the weary.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I just put mine in one day and never took them out. Just make sure the water temp is the same and they should be fine. I live in Iowa so mine are going to winter out there.

Ask a Question