Fellow inventors/innovators 2--material ideas please

Reaction score
This is the same project as in the other thread of the same title. Different problem though.

3 inch bulkhead drain installed. The top of the bulkhead is nearly 1 inch higher than the bottom surface. I want the bottom surface to be level with the top of the bulkhead. I'm looking for ideas for material to fill the bottom to that level. So far I've only thought of two:

1) Cement covered with Pond Armor Pond Shield = $85.
2) 1 inch recycled rubber mat cut to fit and caulked on all edges w/silicone = app. $50.

Anybody have an other ideas.

Attachments

• 88.jpg
    88.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 295
  • 89.jpg
    89.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 277
Reaction score
$85! $50!?

First of all, it's truly negligible that your bulhead is a bit higher? Personally, I really wouldn't worry about it and use the money elsewhere if I were you. When the water flushes out of the thing quickly, it's stir up whatever is in the bottom. Even if you get a little sediment down there, it's truly no big deal. I wouldn't touch it and just leave it be.

BUT if you insist on doing something, I would go waaaay cheaper on a fix. I would buy 3 or 4 tubes of PL Roofing caulk and just put it all at the bottom and then just smooth it flat with a spatula [wrap your spatula blad with a piece of saran wrap so it doesn't get gunked up with the roofing cement] until it hits the edge of your bulkhead. Basically, you're creating a new floor. Let it dry for 48-72 hours, and then you've got a perfectly water resistant bottom that is a bit higher for about $10-$12 bucks. [Warning: PL Roofing caulk stains your hands!]

But, like I said, I really don't think you have an issue with leaving it the way it is, and I would just forget about it. You're looking at something that doesn't really matter.

Reaction score
You are probably right. I'm trying to imagine the flushing water coming down from above through the media carrying fines and detritus and going out through the hole in the bottom.

PL roofing caulk? I wonder how many tubes it would take. Most of those glues and caulks run between 4-5 dollars apiece, I think. And you think that stuff is non-toxic to the fish?

rw

Reaction score
I seal all my pond plumbing seals with it. What have you sealed yours with? For example, do you have anything around that bulkhead?

Honestly, I would really leave it alone. I think you're focusing on something that really doesn't need any attention.

But I should hope you've sealed your fittings with a caulk of some kind!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have to agree with Koikeepr
All of my bulk heads sit up about a 1/2" off the bottom with out a problem
when i do drain it and i feel it still has muck i will shut the valve and let it biuld up a few inches and drain again

Reaction score
Notwithstanding the excellent advice, I decided to go with my gut, i.e. it's better to do it the best way one can think of from the start. So, I poured concrete into the base of the filter falls and will buy a gallon of concrete sealant from Aqua Art called White Mountain Stone Laquer. I'll use some of this on the upcoming remodel of the waterfall, so it won't go to waste.

Attachments

• 95.jpg
    95.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 262
  • 96.jpg
    96.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 261
  • 97.jpg
    97.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 303

Ask a Question