Female Fox feeding behaviour.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
javascript:poiZoom(.26333,51.13245,map,11);
I put scraps out for a local Female Fox that comes into the garden most nights. I often find the bowl empty and in next doors garden, so over several night I have had the night camera facing the food trying to capture the Fox taking the bowl out of the garden and last night it all paid off.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very cool seeing the video but I think here in the U.S it's illegal to feed them. Not sure about the UK. Guess it makes them dependent and less afraid of humans and their spaces which might end up getting them killed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Was that a badger as well? Wouldn't want one of those in my yard!

Most of the gardens in the UK are all fenced in, so the animals in the Wild never go in and never go out. I'm quite lucky by living next door to two neighbours that have no permanent boundary so the Wildlife venture from garden to garden. The Poor old Badger gets a lot of bad press in the UK, hundreds are killed on a daily basis by vehicles, hundreds are killed by Man on the demand of our Government, so when one ventures into my garden, It's very welcome.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here in the U.S., my friend's husband was baiting animals into their yard for trail cam photos and videos. I advised them against it. Not just because of it possibly being illegal in their state, but for the health and well being of the animals. Generally, human food scraps and access to our trash is not healthy for them, and habituates them into unnatural behaviors that can lead them into trouble and early deaths. My friend's husband had never thought about that, and promptly stopped the practice.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How neat and that fox is so cautious! My yorkie acts like that with things she is not sure of, ready to bound away if need be.

Reaction score
Here in the U.S., my friend's husband was baiting animals into their yard for trail cam photos and videos. I advised them against it. Not just because of it possibly being illegal in their state, but for the health and well being of the animals. Generally, human food scraps and access to our trash is not healthy for them, and habituates them into unnatural behaviors that can lead them into trouble and early deaths. My friend's husband had never thought about that, and promptly stopped the practice.

Having chickens, rabbits and a garden, I naturally bait critters to come in. The raccoons kill my chickens, the wild rabbits/ground hogs eat my garden, it's a constant battle keeping them out. I am surprised the coyotes haven't tried to get to the goats.
Alot of people don't realize the problems of feeding wild anmals can cause.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Badgers are very cool and I agree they have been give a bad rap. It is very unfortunate we humans can’t live in harmony with wild creatures as they incredible in their own ways.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone

How do you think documentaries are made, they are made with Bait. I put out scraps in a bowl and the bowl ends up next door, so I want to find out how that happened, thats how we learn about animal behaviours. What the Video proves is the Fox is very clever, you can see her biting off branches that are in her way, you can see her clawing at the ground so she has a smooth surface to slide the bowl across the ground without it getting caught up in the branches and debris. I know a Guy who feeds a Fox bacon, by hand, would never do that, the Fox has never seen me, but I have seen the Fox, but she doesn't know that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Having chickens, rabbits and a garden, I naturally bait critters to come in. The raccoons kill my chickens, the wild rabbits/ground hogs eat my garden, it's a constant battle keeping them out. I am surprised the coyotes haven't tried to get to the goats.
Alot of people don't realize the problems of feeding wild anmals can cause.

In the UK we are prompted by animal charities to feed the Birds.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just think we should leave the studies of wild animals using bait to the experts like government fish and wildlife people or people who actually get a permit to do a study. Animals I believe are better off finding their own food supplies and us and our families are better off also. I have no issues feeding birds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I just think we should leave the studies of wild animals using bait to the experts like government fish and wildlife people or people who actually get a permit to do a study. Animals I believe are better off finding their own food supplies and us and our families are better off also. I have no issues feeding birds.

How can you say I'm baiting, I am just putting out scraps for any animal that comes along, what you don't see is the Hedgehogs the Jackdaws the Magpie's the Crows the Squirrels the Mice and the occasional Rat. I have found several half eaten Rats in the garden over the years which is obviously the Foxes doing, so you could say we are all working together and on another note food waste is not going to end up in the local Landfill, it might actually be a life saver now and again. Like I said earlier, people in the UK choose closed in fencing to keep animals out, but I welcome any animal into mine.

Ask a Question