Female shubunkin spawning

Discussion in 'Spawning' started by Jetta, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Jetta

Jetta

I have a two tier pond, one is over 300 the other is 50, I managed to save some babies from the first spawn in early April, none from the second spawn , and this morning I wake to a third spawning race. I have one female adult and two males adult shubunkins. I quit counting surface breaks at 6 am. I have three other fish in the pond who are not mature yet. These adults are four years old, and last year I noticed an attempted spawn, never found any eggs, but this year I built a bigger pond and moved all my fish and it seems like they are spawning like crazy! I moved babies from initial spawn into the upper pond for a fighting chance as eggs. This was after several misguided attempts to put them in buckets, aquariums etc. But there has to be at least a hundred surviving babies, not counting the ones who've magically made it stuck in the larger pond with a hungry butterfly koi who loves eggs. Not really asking any questions, unless of course someone wants some fry, jk I just wanted to share my experiences with spawning this year. One female x 3 spawns in one month! Crazy fun here
    I'm posting pics of my female surface break. They are beautiful fish!

Attached Files:

Jetta, Apr 30, 2017
    Mickowitz and bagsmom like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. Jetta

MoonShadows The Jam Man

default_welcome38gk.gif

Sounds like there a lot of action. Keep us posted.

MoonShadows, Apr 30, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Jetta

Lisak1

Welcome! You have a pretty pond - I'm surprised your fish aren't interested in all that duckweed! Mine gobble it up as fast as I get it in the pond.

If I'm understanding correctly, you have about 350 total gallons of water? With 7 total fish, one being a butterfly koi? I think you'd be better off letting the eggs/fry get eaten than trying to save them - unless as you say you can find someone who wants them. You already have more fish than your pond will be able to handle down the road!

Lisak1, Apr 30, 2017
    bagsmom and Meyer Jordan like this.
  4. Jetta

Jetta

Definitely agree! I moved them to the upper pond to grow, I will be handing them out as gifts when they are an inch long, whoever walks in my yard will get a free shubunkin! Also last year they ate any and all duckweed I was able to bring in, they are ignoring it this year, little weirdos. For enjoyment a pic of the big three playing in the lilies at night.

Attached Files:

Jetta, Apr 30, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  5. Jetta

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Welcome to our group! Nice pond.

addy1, May 1, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
  6. Jetta

Jetta

Thanks so much! I am constantly doing something in my pond, it's kinda in mid completion! I need to acquire more rocks, they are expensive here! I got these a few years ago for my old pond at a discount, and am unable to get them at that price anymore. I call this pond stage two, I'm already planning to dig it deeper and wider in a few years as my koi get larger, much to my husband's chagrin! I wish I had a large backyard to build a more natural looking pond, but all my back is taken up in garden and pool. I have a large front yard and with the addition of the porch i couldn't see myself sitting on it without my fish nearby! They are so calming to me. I have added more pics to show the transformation after the big move lol

Attached Files:

Jetta, May 1, 2017
    bagsmom likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question