Female shubunkin spawning

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have a two tier pond, one is over 300 the other is 50, I managed to save some babies from the first spawn in early April, none from the second spawn , and this morning I wake to a third spawning race. I have one female adult and two males adult shubunkins. I quit counting surface breaks at 6 am. I have three other fish in the pond who are not mature yet. These adults are four years old, and last year I noticed an attempted spawn, never found any eggs, but this year I built a bigger pond and moved all my fish and it seems like they are spawning like crazy! I moved babies from initial spawn into the upper pond for a fighting chance as eggs. This was after several misguided attempts to put them in buckets, aquariums etc. But there has to be at least a hundred surviving babies, not counting the ones who've magically made it stuck in the larger pond with a hungry butterfly koi who loves eggs. Not really asking any questions, unless of course someone wants some fry, jk I just wanted to share my experiences with spawning this year. One female x 3 spawns in one month! Crazy fun here
I'm posting pics of my female surface break. They are beautiful fish!

Attachments

• IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    357.5 KB · Views: 457
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! You have a pretty pond - I'm surprised your fish aren't interested in all that duckweed! Mine gobble it up as fast as I get it in the pond.

If I'm understanding correctly, you have about 350 total gallons of water? With 7 total fish, one being a butterfly koi? I think you'd be better off letting the eggs/fry get eaten than trying to save them - unless as you say you can find someone who wants them. You already have more fish than your pond will be able to handle down the road!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Definitely agree! I moved them to the upper pond to grow, I will be handing them out as gifts when they are an inch long, whoever walks in my yard will get a free shubunkin! Also last year they ate any and all duckweed I was able to bring in, they are ignoring it this year, little weirdos. For enjoyment a pic of the big three playing in the lilies at night.

Attachments

• IMG_0463.JPG
    IMG_0463.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 310
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks so much! I am constantly doing something in my pond, it's kinda in mid completion! I need to acquire more rocks, they are expensive here! I got these a few years ago for my old pond at a discount, and am unable to get them at that price anymore. I call this pond stage two, I'm already planning to dig it deeper and wider in a few years as my koi get larger, much to my husband's chagrin! I wish I had a large backyard to build a more natural looking pond, but all my back is taken up in garden and pool. I have a large front yard and with the addition of the porch i couldn't see myself sitting on it without my fish nearby! They are so calming to me. I have added more pics to show the transformation after the big move lol

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    285.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0447.JPG
    IMG_0447.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 290

Ask a Question