fencing for raccoons

rdk

Reaction score
Dr. Dave: I read in one of your post that you use fencing over your pond to keep raccoons out. What size holes in the fencing should I get? Right now I have a large pond net set up on a A frame and It works great for leaves and keeps my pond perfectly clean. I do not know how well it would work in the ice and snow in keeping night raccoons from looking for a meal. Please let me know.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
rdk said:
Dr. Dave: I read in one of your post that you use fencing over your pond to keep raccoons out. What size holes in the fencing should I get? Right now I have a large pond net set up on a A frame and It works great for leaves and keeps my pond perfectly clean. I do not know how well it would work in the ice and snow in keeping night raccoons from looking for a meal. Please let me know.

I made frames from thinwall PVC and covered them with the green plastic fencing material you can find at Home Depot. The width is 36" and the pattern is like chicken wire fencing.
I used tie wraps to attach the fencing and I did not glue the frame corners.

Attachments

• DSCF1750.jpg
    DSCF1750.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 583

rdk

Reaction score
So heavy chain link fencing for front yards is not need. Is this entire unit tied down to the ground? Do raccoons have the power and strength to move this fence unit aside? Also will this provide me some protection from herons and other fish eating birds? Are they around New England in the deep winter months? Thank you.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have seen raccoons climb my 5' chain link fence to get away from me. As for the frames, mine are floating, I think the raccoons are afraid of being trapped under them so they don't try to lift to go under. Remember, these are 36" wide and 8' long.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
For what it's worth. Back when I had a 80 gllaon tub with wire covering it for a fish pond, I had a six foot vynal fence installed around the whole back yard a couple of years ago. For the most part, I had the fence replaced bacause my new daughter in law had cats that would wander. Once that I realized that the racoons were no longer able to climb the vynal fence, I finally got around to installing the in ground pond that I always wanted. The pond wnet in a year ago in September of 2008. To this day I haven't seen any signs of racoon activity in the yard. Out in the alley and from yard, the racoons get into everything that's not nailed down or locked.

Sure the vynal fence is a bit pricie, but the racoon's so far haven't figured out how to climb over this fence. I believe it is because they can't get their claws into the plastic. I would highly recommend putting up a vynal perimeter to keep the masked bandits out.

I used to sit in the back yard late at night with my 10mm, Glock 20 waiting for some coon activity, but my timing was always off. I have a feeling they were watching me from afar with night vision.:biggrin:

Ask a Question