fertilize lilies?

jethro13

jethro13
Reaction score
After cutting back my water lilies for the winter, I was wondering if I should have fertilized them to promote root growth and give them a head start in the spring. I have done this to the tulip bulbs I have planted in the past. Does anybody have any info on this?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have never fertilized mine and some are 17 years old. They produce flowers every year and they are just in plastic baskets with rocks to hold them down.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i dont use fertilizers either, maybe 1 tab in the spring for a starter before my fish come back out from the basement pond. i, like Dr. Dave, plant mine in peagravel and 1" stone so the roots can pull their nutrients directly from the water..... the final product of a biofilter is nitrates. plants feed on nitrates. your plants feed on it, it leaves less to feed algea,

Reaction score
Most flowering plants will flower more often if you fertilize right at the beginning of the growing season, so I'd wait till spring.

I plan on pushing some Jobes fert sticks down into my pots once I get mine planted.

Ask a Question