Fertilized Dwarf Papyrus?

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Today while my Wife was shopping for plants at Ace she found some Dwarf Papyrus in a kiddie pool and bought one. When she brought it home she said it had been fertilized right before she grabbed it, it still had blue pellets on the top of the soil.

We rinsed the plant well but the dirt will not break free from the roots so I was wondering if it still safe with fish?

This is a pic, 474462_3147208975475_511379653_o.jpg

the white is styrofoam, we got all the blue off. Also I was wondering If I can trim the roots back to fit on a smaller shelf, around 6 inches deep?

Right now My fish are not in the pond yet but I'm thinking of moving them in a day or two.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If it makes you feel better wash the dirt off with a hose and plant it in kitty litter or pea gravel

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm guessing the kitty litter would keep anything from seeping out? I soaked the roots overnight also so I would feel better, thinking of adding it in the pond later today along with the fish.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I was afraid the soil that will not break free from the root ball still held fertilizer that would harm the fish.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have been placing fertilized potted plants in my ponds for over 35 years, and to the best of my knowledge no fish have ever been hurt by this practice. The only thing killing off my fish has been the kingfisher and occasionally a raccoon or two. If you have hosed off most of the soil on your Baby Tut, I doubt there would be enough of anything left to irritate the fish.
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I add fertilizer for the lilies in my pond, no harm to fish . I use osmocote and lily tabs.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
I use lily tabs but always assumed they were a different kind of fertilizer or more fish safe I guess. lol I'm just really paranoid now after the incident when I added top soil from walmart to the plants and screwed up my water badly.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Neo said:
I was afraid the soil that will not break free from the root ball still held fertilizer that would harm the fish.
You need not be concerned. A little bit of fertilizer in 100s ot 1000s of gallons of water will not change anything.

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
Good! I feel better. I'm getting ready to move the koi and plants now. Hopefully I can get some pics before I lose daylight.

Ask a Question