Fertilizer for Aquatic Plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Hey, I am new to ponding and was wondering if there is a certain type of fertilizer that I should use. I have read to use fertilizer sticks but having a hard time finding ones locally for aquatic plants. Could Miracle Gro plant sticks for indoor plants be used, or would it pollute my water and not help plants like lilies?

Also, what types of fertilizer sticks do you use, and how effective are they?

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I think you can use evergreen plant stick in a crunch. You need to break them into chunks.

We use this brand of fertilizer. The link is to a page with fertilizer that goes directly in the water. They also have lily tabs that you push into the pot.

Reaction score
SouthernCross, if you want to make a run to Ponchatoula, I have water plants for you and can show you what I do with my water lilies. My wife and I are home most of the time during summer. I'll do this for anyone close enough to visit.

Here is a link to some photos of our yard. I grow water lilies and do not have fish ponds yet.

http://s11.photobucket.com/user/magoo_/library/?sort=3&sc=1&page=1

Dan McGehee
Ponchatoula, La

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Nice to meet you Magoo and you have some beautiful pictures on photobucket. At this time, I do have more than enough plants in my pond thanks to Larkin(fishing4cars) helping me out. Ponchatoula is not far, and I still might take you up on a visit. I used to visit relatives of my uncle off of Airport Rd when I was a kid. Do you live in the city limits?

Also, Larkin showed me the fertilizer tablets that he used, and I just got some tablets this evening in the mail. Working most of this weekend, but hopefully I will get some time off Sunday to add some fert tabs.

Reaction score
Let me know whem you want to come and I'll email an address. Yes we are in the city limits. Larkin tells me that a trip to visit Gary is well worth the time. Gary. Patty and I want to come see your set up soon.

Dan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
I will do that magoo, but it might be a couple of weeks.

Minnowman, Larkin talked highly about your place, and it would be nice to see your pond, but being so far away, I am not sure if I would be able to do that any time soon if at all. But who knows what the future holds. My 2 young sons and crazy work schedule keep me Very busy.

Ask a Question