Fertilizer in my lotus pool?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Boy do my plants look sad. I know it's partly the time of year, and partly because I don't have enough fish yet to feed the plants. We have had many days in the 70s and a few in the 80s, though -- lots of sunshine.
I got some water hyacinth on Saturday and already they look unhappy. I have a lotus pool -- unfiltered, still water -- no fish. I have some creeping jenny in it, a totally asleep lotus root, and some parrot's feather and anacharis.

Is there any reason why I couldn't put some plant food in the water there and let my water hyacinth have a "food bath" for a few days?

Then I could transfer them back to the big pond later.

Thoughts?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't see why not, I put fertilizer in my lotus tub, granular wrapped in paper towel. It is part of the pond loop, has never bothered the pond. Since yours is separate, go ahead and put some fertilizer in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I don't see why not, I put fertilizer in my lotus tub, granular wrapped in paper towel. It is part of the pond loop, has never bothered the pond. Since yours is separate, go ahead and put some fertilizer in.
Are your lotus doing anything yet? I planted my bulb maybe 4 weeks ago and I see no signs of life. Just not consistently warm enough yet?

Reaction score
As an experiment I once put some water hyacinth in a small pond (35 gals) and added 5 lbs of potash. The experiment was too see what was too much potash. Turned out the water hyacinth had goldfish eggs, each hatched and the fry grew great. Water hyacinth did great too. But turned out the water hyacinth didn't do well in the pod because the fish nibbled their roots...it wasn't a nutrient issue.

For lotus, lilies, Canna, etc... I use fruit tree fertilizer spikes broken into about 3 chunks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@sissy has good advice on how to fertilize water hyacinth with Miracle Grow.

I've 12 germinated lotus seeds, that aren't ready to be outside yet. I've read they need lots of fertilizer, preferably monthly.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@sissy has good advice on how to fertilize water hyacinth with Miracle Grow.

I've 12 germinated lotus seeds, that aren't ready to be outside yet. I've read they need lots of fertilizer, preferably monthly.
Mine get unfiltered slow flow water from the big pond (with fish). I used to add fertilizer pellets via paper towels, now I don't add anything, for the last few years. The plants grow and bloom wonderfully.

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As an experiment I once put some water hyacinth in a small pond (35 gals) and added 5 lbs of potash. The experiment was too see what was too much potash. Turned out the water hyacinth had goldfish eggs, each hatched and the fry grew great. Water hyacinth did great too. But turned out the water hyacinth didn't do well in the pod because the fish nibbled their roots...it wasn't a nutrient issue.

For lotus, lilies, Canna, etc... I use fruit tree fertilizer spikes broken into about 3 chunks.
Are the fertilizer spikes in a pond with fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
IMG_4707.JPG

IMG_4708.JPG
IMG_4709.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have been reading up on starting lotus from seed and decided to try it. I went over to Michael's and bought a pack of 2 lotus pods. I picked the package where the pods had the most seeds. The I cam home and about 3 pm on June 24 I used my husbands grinder to take off the hard outer coat. I laced them A, B, C to see which pod of seeds did the best and...if any survive to make blooms then I will know which color (assuming they are different colors) can from which seed pod. I put two seeds in each cup and the rest in baggies with the correct alphabet letter on each bag. Sorry I could not get the photos to go with my post...I am new to posting on here and have to figure it out. Also should I post thumbnails instead of full size?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Now I have pictures taken this morning at 6:40 am. Less then 48 hours after the seeds first hit the water. You can see B, and C and getting ready to emerge! A is showing green but barely, it is much slower. C is really getting ready to burst out. Of course living in Arizona with the temps at 115 helps a lot!

IMG_4724.JPGIMG_4725.JPGIMG_4726.JPG

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It will start showing some color before it opens. And it will last for a few days, changing each day.

Ask a Question