fertilizer problem ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI ALL , ABOUT EIGHT WEEKS AGO I PLANTED SEVEN NEW PLANTS IN MY POND USING AQUATIC POTTING COMPOST, ALL IN SIX INCH POND POTS WITH A 2 INCH LAYER OF GRAVEL ON THE TOP, OVER THE LAST WEEK I HAVE HAD EIGHT DEAD FISH , COULD IT BE THAT THE COMPOST HAS NOW HAD TIME TO LEACH INTO THE WATER AND BE POISONING THE FISH ??. I HAVE CARRIED OUT A FULL WATER TEST WITH A KIT AND ALL ARE READING S WERE AROUND NORMAL. ANY HELP WITH THIS MOST APPRECIATED.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group.

Since that was, most likely, your only change, I would guess it caused the fish deaths. Did the ph of the water change?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
In my opinion I would say unlikely it was the compost. But - it was definitely for use in ponds? Do you have a lawn service that may have come too close to the water? Any new fish added lately? Was the gravel straight out of the bag? No chance it was contaminated? Consider every possibility.(n)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome to the GPF. You'll hopefully find an answer to your mysterious fish deaths here.

I would not suspect something you did 8 weeks ago for something that happened in the last week, but I guess anything is possible. I've never heard of aquatic planting compost - can you share what brand of planting media you used?

The water testing experts in our group will want more specifics than "readings were around normal" - exact readings will be more helpful. Also - more about your pond. How big, how many fish, what kind of fish, do you have filtration and what type, etc. The more details the better.

Ask a Question