JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd also recommend a bird bath. You could plant Purple Coneflowers, which attract finch species when they produce seed in fall. Oranges attract a few species of birds in spring. Birdhouses could attract certain species like wrens. Native berry bushes can attract songbirds.

B

Burd

image.jpeg
I'm making a nice bird feeder, it will be on a post, squirrel guard, not far from the birdbath, the feeder is a real busy place in the winter. The squirrels have their own feeder, then they tend to leave the bird one alone, maybe I'll start a bird feeder thread, is there one already?
Here's my summer feeder, you need a late one for winter.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
Our bird bath brings birds.
Some are very exotic.
Bird seeds also bring birds.....And rats.
We had to stop feeding.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I stopped feeding because all of the activity attracted raptors which wanted to snack on the birds. Now I have two birdbaths.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I stopped feeding because all of the activity attracted raptors which wanted to snack on the birds. Now I have two birdbaths.
We have a lot of hawks, they have lousy luck getting birds. We do have a few falcons that show up now and then.

The feeders are out in the open, on a 20 foot pole. I watch the hawks give up and go for the frogs around the ponds.

B

Burd

The Heater? It's a submersible live stock type, 35$ I think it was. When it's the only water open its a busy place.
I'll post a pic, I'm putting it out this week.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Once had a Coopers Hawk chase a bird right into my window. Heard a loud bang. Not sure what happened to the small bird. The hawk was seen sitting up in my pine tree.
We have a lot of hawks around here but I rarely ever see them go after birds at the feeders. I'm not sure why they don't.

B

Burd

At my old place, I was coming out of the garage, a hawk didn't see me, it flew 5' from me going after a dove, I said HEY, thats all it took, the dove fheard and flew away, the hawk looked at me for a spit second, no lunch. Lol.

ZEROPILOT

Faster than you are.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a-10b
Country
United States
....Oh, and Muscovy ducks.
They LOVE birdseed!
Almost as much as they love pooping all over my patio.

Ask a Question