Fighting Phosphate

Reaction score
I'm fighting phosphate in my pond. The water is pretty clear but tends to start clouding after awhile. My understanding is that high phosphate levels tend to lead to algae blooms.

Problem is phosphate phos-out products only remove minute amounts (.1ppm-.5ppm) of phosphate per application and they're expensive. I bought a 64 oz bottle and used it all + did a 25% water change. It lowered the phosphate levels by 1/2 to 5 ppm. I waited a few days and did another 25% water change. This didn't seem to make any difference.

In the meantime, I think the water changes are stressing the fish, even though i'm using stress/declorinator each time. Very frustrating. I'm going leave things alone for awhile, but I sure want to solve this problem. BTW, we're not overfeeding. Anybody got any ideas?

BTW, we have water hyacinths, 7 water lillies, and several other plants. They are growing and I think they should help some no?

Reaction score
Measured it. Phosphate is said to feed algae. Otherwise there was not problem except that the water wouldn't stay clear and string algae is starting. I got the phosphate down to 5ppm and am leaving it alone. I think I stressed out my fish trying to bring it down.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Is your water cloudy with small particles ? Or just cloudy clear water ?

Ask a Question