Filamentious Algae Dangerous to Sturgeon (WARNING)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm unsure if anyone keeps Sturgons on this site
But whilst recearching, another subject to do with mixed ponds I came across a warning particually to owners of Sturgeon..
It appears that should your sturgeon swim into filamentious algae i;e the one that grows in long threads, then there is a real danger that it could become caught up in it.
This basically has the effect of your sturgeon swimming into a net.
Now because the sturgeon effectively caught up in this algea then it can no longer swim forwards to keep water flowing over its gills.
So sadly this can cause the sturgeon like the shark to drown.
If you keep them and you get afflicted by this type of Filamentious algae.As Such I strongly suggest that you keep the sides of the pond free of this algae
should you wish to keep your sturgeon alive and healthy and not succuming to this sad fate .
It came as quite a shock when I read this and moved me to warn everyone who that owns one or is thinking of getting one not to let this befall on them, though prehistoric looking they are a great addition to a pond
The book I was recearching at the time is called the The Pond Doctor.
It written by brilliant Dutch Vet called Maarten Lammens DVM who undertakes risky operational proceedures on koi, even rebuilding ruined mouth's and removing Tumours from the koi's inner body caverty.
Please look him up I beleive he may well be on You Tube with video recordings of his proceedures
If you havent got this book ISBN number 9080856630 it's a goldmine of information and by far one of the best books I've read over the years.

rgrds

Dave

the koi doctor.jpg

Reaction score
Nice to see facts like sturgeon living in string algae filled environments for at least 200 million years wouldn't stop someone from using their imagination to sell books.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Nice to see facts like sturgeon living in string algae filled environments for at least 200 million years wouldn't stop someone from using their imagination to sell books.
I would quite strongly suggest you read the book first prior making a comment, because you'll see just how wrong you are on that statement Waterbug.
You would instantly change your mind (remember the sturgeon are in man made ponds that are open to this form of algae)which is not their natural enviroment where they have space to live and evade this sort of thing.........
This guy is one of a new Generation of Fish/koi Vet, is highly sought after by koi owners on the European continent and from the UK.
He sort of leaves Dr Johnson standing in the shade pure and simple as that.......
Not that I disrespect Dr Johnsons own imput to koi he is a good fish Vet, I have one or two of his books one of them on Goldfish that is on a par with his own koi book if not better
"In fact you answered a question an Algae and in ponds this morning, so are sort of contridicting yourself I'm afraid" The is no difference apart from the species of fish and difference genus of algae quite, simply because both can and do kill in man made ponds, not in natural enviroments where both can avoid it, remembering that koi once lived in lakes prior to their first mutations in colour their ancestor the magoi or eating Carp still does ......

rgrds

Dave

goldfish.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Waterbug said:
That's a bit out of order waterbug, Dave was just trying to help other ponders avoid this potential problem.

Ask a Question