Filling in pond (temporarily?)

Reaction score
We are in the contract stage of purchasing a home and the home comes with a smallish garden pond. Two of our children are 7 months and 3 years of age. I am concerned about their safety and would like to temporarily drain the pond and fill it, with the expectation to use it as a garden pond again when they are older. Is this feasible? As far as I can tell, the pond has a plastic liner. And from what I have learned from my google searches, the pond will just fill up with water if I put dirt and sand in it and the liner is not punctured. I was hoping to be able to not puncture the liner so that it could be use again, but maybe this can't happen? Is there a way to temporarily fill it?

Fences are not an option because I really just do not want water out there for now.

Thank you!

Reaction score
I'm guessing it would be years before you comfortable with water in the back yard with no fence, I would try to take the liner out and store it. Then just fill the hole in with dirt.

I think you would have problems if you just filled the liner with dirt, water would still settle there and rodents (moles) might just rip the liner.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have small kids, our pond is so educational and fun for my boys! But I do have a fenced area for safety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
You dont have to fill in the pond young children can be protected from falling in by a grill that fits above the water it locks into place and can take the weight of a full grown man :-

http://www.pondsafety.com/

So you could keep the pond and keep your children safe at the very same time , as they grow older you can teach them about the dangers of water then teach them noth to swim I loved going swimming as a child and yes I did fall into a pond belonging to our then friends in Newquay before my Mum and Dad divorced thankfully I survived the experiance but had they had it in my day as a small child it would have saved me getting wet thats for sure

Dave

minnowman

minnowman
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
You could fill in the pond with sand or gravel and plant irises or other bog plants. Just water it often enough to keep it from drying out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You can store it. Leave a cheap plastic liner in its place to mark the position

Fill with nice soft fertile loam and enjoy a luxurious bog bed... Grow a spectacular gunnera if you are in a cool climate. Leave a couple of small well marked holes to drain water about half way down

A pond is pretty easy to cage with $20 of rebar laid across it... if you are tempted to try a fishpond with kids about

Regards, andy
http://swglist.wordpress.com/
http://www.pinterest.com/adavisus/pondering/

Reaction score
Thank you so much for all of the replies! My kids are very good at obeying but all it takes is one mistake for something to happen. I am interested in looking at the cage/rebar/grill thing. Are there any grill-type covers that are actually located in the US? It seems they are all in the UK?

More than likely we will stash it but I am still thinking on it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thank you so much for all of the replies! My kids are very good at obeying but all it takes is one mistake for something to happen. I am interested in looking at the cage/rebar/grill thing. Are there any grill-type covers that are actually located in the US? It seems they are all in the UK?

More than likely we will stash it but I am still thinking on it.

We are brand new grandparents with a very large pond. My dear hubby is retired and babysits three days a week. Our little princess Evelynn is only 7 months old. I have been doing a lot of thinking about this topic. What we have determined is that no one can 100% of the time keep children safe from water. So with that said it is critical to teach kids to swim and teach them young. I have seen youtube videos of 6 month old's actually swimming! It can be done.

So my hubby decided since he babysits three days a week, come summer grandpa and Evelynn are taking swimming lessons. :) She will be much safer knowing how to swim and not just in our backyard, but everywhere she goes.

Her mom has already started taking her swimming and is very happy with grandpa wanting to do swimming lessons during his time with her.

Reaction score
We are brand new grandparents with a very large pond. My dear hubby is retired and babysits three days a week. Our little princess Evelynn is only 7 months old. I have been doing a lot of thinking about this topic. What we have determined is that no one can 100% of the time keep children safe from water. So with that said it is critical to teach kids to swim and teach them young. I have seen youtube videos of 6 month old's actually swimming! It can be done.

So my hubby decided since he babysits three days a week, come summer grandpa and Evelynn are taking swimming lessons. :) She will be much safer knowing how to swim and not just in our backyard, but everywhere she goes.

Her mom has already started taking her swimming and is very happy with grandpa wanting to do swimming lessons during his time with her.

You are so correct, no one can be with them 100% of the time.

Another rule I have at my house is no one goes to the pond without an adult. We've never really had to enforce it, as the kids just seem to understand it and rather play a bit further away.

If its a small pond I would go with the rebar option. Kids will love the pond and the fish, but its not worth losing sleep over the safety of your kids.

Someone said on another thread its no different than living on a busy street, you just teach your kids the danger and to respect it. Even if you have a fence if the gate gets left open - whatever - things happen, teach them to not go near the pond, ever, without an adult.

Pecan, not sure if they offer this in your area, but its amazing! Very expensive, but amazing. http://www.infantswim.com/

Good luck to you. I hope you find the answer.

Ask a Question