Filling in pond...

Reaction score
Come spring, I'd like to fill in my 5' long x 3' wide x ~2.5' deep pond.

I'd like to turn it into a bog garden of some sort, preferably around 3' long x 3' wide x ~8" deep.

What should I fill it with?

When I'm done I'd like a waterfall to flow into the middle (~6" open water) then the sides will be the bog part.

How should I go about this?

Thanks for any input!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Fill it with sand and use an EPDM liner over the top to keep water from getting into the fill. If you don't, the water will become septic in the fill area.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
From what i have read bog gardens do best around 12 inches deep and do fine deeper. Use pea gravel for your bog medium, it works great. Just put the plants in with what soil is on their roots.
But in thinking since you are not having fish fertilize it, the other medium to use is peat moss mixed with sand. 50-50.
You could also poke holes in the bottom of the existing liner to have the water very slowly leak out to keep it fresh.
Or do like drdave says and put a liner over the fill to make a "new" area that is only 12 inches deep, but you won't have water movement there either.
Or if you wish to not poke holes in it, bogs are naturally sort of stagnate water. My one bog is a 300 gallon tub, I have pvc pipe coming out of the bottom to be able to drain it if needed, i.e. too much rain. Pea gravel will be in the bottom, then peat moss and sand mixture for the plants. This bog is for the carnivorous plants. They like to be wet, but not have water to the crown of the plants.
My other bog has water to the crown of the plants and higher, they like wet feet.

Put in a small preformed pond in the center for your waterfall.

(as I worked on this it timed out.............so reposting............lol)

Reaction score
Assuming the pond has a good liner, pump it dry and pull the liner, put in your fill and compact it or give it time to settle. This will sure save problems down the line. If the old liner is good you can use it to line your bog pond. I went through this last spring. The used Firestone rubber liner is doing well as a new stream bed now.

Ask a Question