Filling in the gaps of my water rock wall and floor ? material suggestions?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My dinky water feature if ya need to see it.

A very small section, 2 foot by 8 inches, I used Great Stuff and it took much and I could see how this was going to become very expensive fast !! Or maybe I was using more than I should have. It was tough for me to judge how much to use. I was wanting to get all the empty spaces so absolutely nothing can be stored between the rock and liner.

Supposedly, Great Stuff is not "UV stabilitized" so it has the potential of light causing it to break down. I found out about this AFTER I already did my little section. I just gave up and put the rest of the rocks in. Gonna revisit to do this coming up next Spring.

I have used silicone before to hold rocks in place in my stream, but the silicone deteriorated just a couple monthers after. Maybe I was using the wrong stuff.

Portions of the wall is quite straight so the adhesive will need to tolerate some tension.

I'm not concerned about using cement, concrete, or mortar so it's fine to suggest it to me.

I would love to hear about a specific brands as well. I'm tired of wasting money on the guess work here.

What are my other options to get this done ?? that will not cause me grief later on.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't use the pl goop to fill gaps though, just to attach rocks and seal piping holes. The pl goop so far is holding the rocks well, on third summer, two winters

porb mortar your best bet to fill gaps.

Reaction score
The Great Stuff large gap filler might be ok for what you're wanting. It starts out yellow but turns brownish with algae pretty quickly. You can also spray paint it when it's cured. It's the same chemical formulation as the black waterfall foam but uses a higher pressure to create a "foamier" foam.

Reaction score
My dinky water feature if ya need to see it.

A very small section, 2 foot by 8 inches, I used Great Stuff and it took much and I could see how this was going to become very expensive fast !! Or maybe I was using more than I should have. It was tough for me to judge how much to use. I was wanting to get all the empty spaces so absolutely nothing can be stored between the rock and liner.

Supposedly, Great Stuff is not "UV stabilitized" so it has the potential of light causing it to break down. I found out about this AFTER I already did my little section. I just gave up and put the rest of the rocks in. Gonna revisit to do this coming up next Spring.

I have used silicone before to hold rocks in place in my stream, but the silicone deteriorated just a couple monthers after. Maybe I was using the wrong stuff.

Portions of the wall is quite straight so the adhesive will need to tolerate some tension.

I'm not concerned about using cement, concrete, or mortar so it's fine to suggest it to me.

I would love to hear about a specific brands as well. I'm tired of wasting money on the guess work here.

What are my other options to get this done ?? that will not cause me grief later on.
Have you ever worked with mortar before? Seems like with a large volume to fill it would be the ticket, and you won't have to worry about it breaking down from UV rays.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Have you ever worked with mortar before? Seems like with a large volume to fill it would be the ticket, and you won't have to worry about it breaking down from UV rays.
Nope, never used it before. Any particular brand or type for submerged water application ??

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
I may be wrong on this, but I think if you use mortar or cement, you will probably want to use a sealer of some sort. I have never used it before, but from doing construction for 7 years (electrician) I worked around the block layers all the time for our electrical boxes. Mortar, is real sandy, not a whole lot of materail to it, so I would think that it would break down fast if a constant water flow was going over it.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, that's what I was wondering.

I have worked with grout and I have always had to put a sealer on it.

I would ask Waterbug since he seems to know this construction engineer stuff and with his past experience... but apparently he has disallowed private messages from me!! why waterbug?! :cry: heheh, just playing with ya, but I would love to read your input.

Ask a Question