Filling pond with hose

Glitter

Glitter
Reaction score
Hello,

Well as usual, the questions I always have are never in the forum library. What does that mean??? :(

Okay, Everytime I do a water change, I backflush the water out (no bottom drain) and then to fill it back up using 5 gallon
buckets with dechlorinator which takes forever and not to mention very labor intensive.

I"ve heard people talk about sticking the hose in to fill. I'm scared to try it. Do you put the dechlorinator in 1st? Trickle it
on top or mix up in a bucket of water. We just don't want to screw up the fish. I know that every 3" of water added
equals a 100 gallons.

Please advise.

Thanks....

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
personally i would put a nozzle on the hose and use a spray pattern or something and then add dechlorinator at regular intervals by estimating how much water is in the pond.. never had to do when trying to add fish but if i am in error someone will surely chime in

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've never used the dechlor either as we have a well but have heard and read of people running the hose in there and taking a cap full at a time and gradually pour it in every few minutes like don't ask suggested. They say the stuff does not hurt the fish even if you put too much in as it is (Sodium thiosulfate) non toxic to fish.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I only add some declor if I'm doing a large water change
I just toss a scoop in once in a while

Reaction score
I"ve heard people talk about sticking the hose in to fill.
Generally the deaths won't happen right away. The chlorine damages the gill which most fish can survive. So for most people that's good enough. The problems can come later should there low O2 or a problem with a fish being able to take in O2, like ammonia present. Couple that with damaged gills and the fish dies. But the owner will never make the connection to the hose being in the pond.

I personally have never used a dechlorinator. I've always added water slowly to the bog or stream,. Some place to dilute the chlorine to safe levels. However I have also forgotten to turn off the hose many times and no doubt damaged my fish. You'd think I would have learned to add a timer.

Here are too videos that talk about adding chlorinated water to a pond.

Start at 7:24...

Ad

Advertisements

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh you know I have never been so happy as to have well water .In NJ I had city water and flow was great and with a well the only difference is the storage tank filling up and now have resolved that by adding outside hydrants so I only use the well pump and not the filter or storage tank .Well water rocks as long as it does not go dry ,but since mine is over 450 feet deep it better not .I would love a second well though ,but have to settle on the underground storage tanks for rain water .That was a great investment and more people should try it .I have even seen them above ground here with there gutter pipes running into them .I think they are the best investment you can make ,no mosquito's like with the rain barrels and no need for those dunk products that are not cheap .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Probably the best piece of advice that I’ve heard in 20 years. Water drop!! Go figure!! I’ve been doing that with all my indoor fresh water tanks for 20 years. Never thought to do that with the pond! Boom!! Mind blown!!

Generally the deaths won't happen right away. The chlorine damages the gill which most fish can survive. So for most people that's good enough. The problems can come later should there low O2 or a problem with a fish being able to take in O2, like ammonia present. Couple that with damaged gills and the fish dies. But the owner will never make the connection to the hose being in the pond.

I personally have never used a dechlorinator. I've always added water slowly to the bog or stream,. Some place to dilute the chlorine to safe levels. However I have also forgotten to turn off the hose many times and no doubt damaged my fish. You'd think I would have learned to add a timer.

Here are too videos that talk about adding chlorinated water to a pond.

Start at 7:24...

Ad

Advertisements

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@perainvestments Hello and welcome! Yes, good info, but when you answer an old thread, your comment/info will get lost as most don’t go back and read their old stuff — especially if the OP isn’t around any more. Sometimes it’s better to start a new thread…..but we are glad to know that our older stuff is still being looked at. Since you’re new, why not go to our “introductions “ topic and tell us a little about yourself and your ponding experience!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

Well as usual, the questions I always have are never in the forum library. What does that mean??? :(

Okay, Everytime I do a water change, I backflush the water out (no bottom drain) and then to fill it back up using 5 gallon
buckets with dechlorinator which takes forever and not to mention very labor intensive.

I"ve people talk about sticking the hose in to fill. I'm scared to try it. Do you put the dechlorinator in 1st? Trickle it
on top or mix up in a bucket of water. We just don't want to screw up the fish. I know that every 3" of water added
equals a 100 gallons.

Please advise.

Thanks....
I don't use a dechlorinator which was a mistake because I nearly recently lost my fish to some kind of toxin in the water. We don't do water changes per say, instead we over flow the pond for one for one minute on every even hour. This is just the random magic equation that we've found works for us accounting for the small size of our pond, evaporation and the amount of over splash from our water fountain and bubblers. Obviously I can't be there to add water conditioner every other hour. Still we live in town on a municipality and something when poisoning my fish. The best solution I found was an inline water hose filter called Boogie blue +. It filters out Chlorine, Chloramine and heavy metals. You'll have to ensure your flow rate and water pressure at the spicket is appropriate for what the filter is rated for. Note: these type of filters will freeze so if you need to top off or do a water change below 37 F you'll need to go with a water conditioning product.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
DOTS strikes again!! (didcha add PJ's new acro the list, addy????) I gotcher back, @poconojoe !!
Dang....I almost fell for it again! DOTS!!!!
Addy saved me this time in post #9!

FWIW....
I learned a long time ago to just spray the hose directly into the pond. Pour the dechlorinator right in the splash.
I use a $20 digital water meter on the end of my hose. This way I'm sure to add the correct ratio of dechlorinator to the amount of water being added.
Just keep an eye on the meter and add more dechlorinator if needed.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@poconojoe Here’s my tip-off — Look at the date the thread was introduced.
5BCE4A18-46C1-44FB-A151-CB55314ED395.jpeg

brokensword

...and not every pond in Michigan has a loon!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
you're making it waaaaaaayyyyyy too easy for @poconojoe , @Mmathis ! Annnnnnnd, taking away ALL my fun! Sheesh. I mean, he slams DOTS but!!!! then goes on to reply to it ANYHOW!!! I mean, can you GET more fun than that?
Yep, nothing like a good laugh, especially at my expense!
Good thing I have thick skin.
My 42 plus years in construction has done that for me. If you can't take a joke on a construction site, you won't last very long!

Sad thing is that all of that is probably gone these days. Everyone has become too serious. No more fun to make the work day enjoyable.
Glad I retired 4 years ago....

brokensword

...and not every pond in Michigan has a loon!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep, nothing like a good laugh, especially at my expense!
Good thing I have thick skin.
My 42 plus years in construction has done that for me. If you can't take a joke on a construction site, you won't last very long!

Sad thing is that all of that is probably gone these days. Everyone has become too serious. No more fun to make the work day enjoyable.
Glad I retired 4 years ago....
THAT'S why we're all HERE, PJ; Ian let's the kids play, don'tcha know?

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Donor
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
THAT'S why we're all HERE, PJ; Ian let's the kids play, don'tcha know?
lol actually me more than him. I do all the skim reading of posts to make sure the kids are being good! If I run into something I am on the fence about I send it to him for second eyeball look.

Ask a Question