Filter and Pump advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I will be getting a raised pond 6'x4' at a height of 26.5" which will be just over 1000 litres and was wondering peoples views on a filter and pump kit.

I have been looking at the following kits:

OASE Biopress compact pressure filters and filtoclear

LAGUNA Pressureflo and clearflo

My pond will house Sarasa comets mainly about 10 and plants.

Thanks in advance :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Those that use filters will chime in as to how well those will work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Addy1 states that because her filter is a bog. You could do a mini version of a bog filter. In fact, I highly recommend it. It will cost way less, looks nicer and probably do a better job.
Some people have used those long plastic rectangular, trough shaped plant pots. I think they're called window boxes.
They sit them on top of their raised pond attached to one of the sides. It's filled with pea gravel. You pump the water into the bottom of it and the water gets filtered by flowing up through the pea gravel. On the pond side, either a pipe is installed for the water to go back to the pond or a notch is cut to form a falls. Plants are grown in the pea gravel. The plants are also part of the filter since they take in the nutrients that were deposited in the gravel.
Look around on this site. I recall some projects like this with pictures.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have the sides of my raised ponds lined with window boxes. I use a spray bar that runs alont the top and the drainage holes in the boxes allow the water to flow back into the pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys and girls I am only asking about the pump and filter kits in this post?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi guys

I will be getting a raised pond 6'x4' at a height of 26.5" which will be just over 1000 litres and was wondering peoples views on a filter and pump kit.

I have been looking at the following kits:

OASE Biopress compact pressure filters and filtoclear

LAGUNA Pressureflo and clearflo

My pond will house Sarasa comets mainly about 10 and plants.

Thanks in advance :)
I've been using the Laguna series as they are very energy efficient.
Like the Max Flow pumps, they seem very reliable. First one is over 7 years old so I bought a second last year for the waterfall bog. Also use the Pressure Flo filter as a pre-filter before each bog. They are okay but canisters have cracker on the two I have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Hi guys and girls I am only asking about the pump and filter kits in this post?
A bog is an alternative to buying a commercial filter. It's just a suggestion. I wish I would have gone that route from the beginning. Instead I spent money on a couple commercial type filters that have to be constantly cleaned and don't work as well as a bog. When I get around to it, I'll be doing a bog.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will have to look further into one. They do look good so thanks for the suggestions

Ask a Question