Filter box theory

Reaction score
A box about 11 x 6 in deep by 9 deep. A sheet each of coarse scotch brite and foam rubber, both under and over the pump. The top sheets have holes for the pump output hose to pass up through. Then the box lid, held on by Phillips screws. The assembly is placed in the skimmer tub.

Very unsatisfactory. Requires hoisting the filter box out of the tub, as far as the hose will allow; then complete disassembly and re-assembly for cleaning, on one's kneesx.

Why is the pump not in a compartment by itself, allowing the filter sheets to be removed and re-installed without tools, without touching the pump?

There must be a sound filtration efficiency explanation, because from the standpoint of maintenance, it would be hard to imagine a more bogus arrangement.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A box about 11 x 6 in deep by 9 deep. A sheet each of coarse scotch brite and foam rubber, both under and over the pump. The top sheets have holes for the pump output hose to pass up through. Then the box lid, held on by Phillips screws. The assembly is placed in the skimmer tub.

Very unsatisfactory. Requires hoisting the filter box out of the tub, as far as the hose will allow; then complete disassembly and re-assembly for cleaning, on one's kneesx.

Why is the pump not in a compartment by itself, allowing the filter sheets to be removed and re-installed without tools, without touching the pump?

There must be a sound filtration efficiency explanation, because from the standpoint of maintenance, it would be hard to imagine a more bogus arrangement.
ain't no screws or disassembly, nor buried/accessible filter pads with my bog filter...jus' sayin' :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1630271699455.gif
@Bran Name
Sounds like you would like a new set up? Start searching is all I can say. Maybe someone here can recommend an easier way to go. Brand names, cost etc. Good luck! I don't use a skimmer so can't really help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What kind of filter is this? We recently purchased a Matala filter box that looks like this:

The filter pads are the only thing on the inside.

Yours sounds like a combination pump and filter? That's definitely an unusual set up and like you said, doesn't sound like it was engineered for the end user!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Bran Name (what an interesting name)…..Is this a DIY filter contraption, or something you bought? Not really understanding the purpose for your post, here. Do you need help coming up with a different design?

BTW, hello and welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a

If you want maintenance free, switch to a bog. It can be any size, big or small. It can be multiple bogs to accomplish the task.

How many gallons does your pond hold?

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The info that comes with that shows bio-balls and a snap on lid. It says nothing about using in a skimmer. These filters- and I use the term loosely, are more of a prefilter to protect the pump. Any filter that has to be pulled out of the pond is just going to dump the debris back in the pond when removed. Even with the snap on lid, very poor for any size but the smallest of ponds. Might work ok in a stock tank.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The info that comes with that shows bio-balls and a snap on lid. It says nothing about using in a skimmer. These filters- and I use the term loosely, are more of a prefilter to protect the pump. Any filter that has to be pulled out of the pond is just going to dump the debris back in the pond when removed. Even with the snap on lid, very poor for any size but the smallest of ponds. Might work ok in a stock tank.
Yep. And I love the part of the instructions that say, 'Change the filter pads seasonally.'
Bran Name, I recommend you pass on this 'filter.' By the way, welcome to the forum!

Ask a Question