Filter cleaning.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought an Aquagarden four-in-one filter (3250) for my 1400 litre small garden pond (containing 17 goldfish and a few plants.
When spring and summer arrives, how often should I be giving the filter a thorough clean-out?
Thanks for any advice.
BrianR.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
Canada
Hey Brian...

I'd let reduction in water flow be your guide. If you notice the water flow is significantly reduced I'd say it's time for a cleaning. Something to consider though, in a pond your size, I'd think your filter over time would build up some beneficial bacteria, so a "too thorough" clean out might remove some of that bacteria which you'd like to keep. So cleaning it out to improve water flow is a good thing, but sanitizing it and killing the beneficial bacteria I think wouldn't be what you want.

Wammy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm not sure what your filter looks like.
I have skimmer boxes and bio falls, the bio-fall media gets rinsed only once x year (Spring cleaning) , the skimmer pads (I add extra) I rinse daily in the Summer and once a week in Spring and Fall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Brian...

I'd let reduction in water flow be your guide. If you notice the water flow is significantly reduced I'd say it's time for a cleaning. Something to consider though, in a pond your size, I'd think your filter over time would build up some beneficial bacteria, so a "too thorough" clean out might remove some of that bacteria which you'd like to keep. So cleaning it out to improve water flow is a good thing, but sanitizing it and killing the beneficial bacteria I think wouldn't be what you want.

Wammy
Thanks Wammy - especially for the point about bacteria. BrianR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not sure what your filter looks like.
I have skimmer boxes and bio falls, the bio-fall media gets rinsed only once x year (Spring cleaning) , the skimmer pads (I add extra) I rinse daily in the Summer and once a week in Spring and Fall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Gemma. Not sure what a skimmer box is, but I'm sure mine isn't one, but thanks anyway. BrianR.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I would build a filter because you will find that those filters cannot filter the load you have in fish .I had 2 filters in canisters and would back flush them 3 or 4 times a day and that was on a 1500 gallon pond with only 8 fish .The fish will be much happier and the water will be cleaner .If you do not have it yet ,get an API liquid water test kit .I looked the filter up and is that the all in one filter and pump that goes in the pond

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would build a filter because you will find that those filters cannot filter the load you have in fish .I had 2 filters in canisters and would back flush them 3 or 4 times a day and that was on a 1500 gallon pond with only 8 fish .The fish will be much happier and the water will be cleaner .If you do not have it yet ,get an API liquid water test kit .I looked the filter up and is that the all in one filter and pump that goes in the pond
Yes - the all-in-one filter. I will get an API water test kit. Thanks for the advice.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
when you pull those filters out of the pond the stuff falls off right back into the pond as you are pulling it up .They also get clogged often with muck and algae and fish waste

Ask a Question