filter for a 150 gallon above ground pond

Reaction score
I got a 150 gallon rubbermaid trough that i have several plants in but would like to do a DIY filter and maybe a waterfall back in...any ideas/suggestions.
i was thinking maybe using a 30 gallon plastic drum that would be fed by the fountain pump and would feed up through the drum and back into the pond.

anyone do something like this?

Reaction score
We have stickes for 55 gallon barrels, too. You would just create the same concept with a smaller barrel or drum, that is all. Plumbing it would be exactly the same as the stock tanks or the barrels.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
30 gals is even a bit big for a 150 gal stocktank pond....a 15 gal would be 10% of the ponds volume which is plenty. many people wish they could have a 10% filter volume

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The 30 gal drum would be at a good height to fall back into your pond
:lol: If you could cut a smile like shape at the very top of the drum but below the rim and heat it with a torch or heat gun you could mold out a spill way to fall back into your pond

Reaction score
the 30 gallon that I have is thicker than the standard blue barrels. could I get away with plumbing with vented top to feed back to the pond.

Reaction score
if I go with the bulkheads, how do i get a tight seal since it is not the typical blue barrel ( extra rubber gaskets or silicone). this is made from tougher plastic. or do i skip the bulheads and go with just pumbing and a durso drain back into the rubbermaid 150 trough?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Yes you can ..If your drum is close to your pond and the outlet is sloped down hill you may not need a vent

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I don't see the need for a vent on the outlet side. And while we are at it, with a check valve none are needed at all. I like mine without it in case I have to force water through which happened once with a string algae clogg.

Ask a Question