filter for new pond

Reaction score
Hi all, Just in the process of building a new pond i know its not the right time to be doing this but there we go,I was wondering what would be the best filter system to use,Here are some pictures of the pond so far, Still need to put the stone capping on which should happen next week http://www.gw0mmb.co.uk/gw0mmbpond.html.

Paul

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looking good there. A lot of people like the skippy, doc filters in the diy section. Build yourself and save some money.

Welcome to the group!

smiley-bounce016.gif

Peg

A Koi kid since 1999
Reaction score
I used the Skippy too.... with a 70 gallon stock tank.... I'm not sure how many gallons you have there, but love my Skippy . . . In it I use floor scrubbing pads and screening (like for windows and doors) works great with 2 cleanings a year.... I do use a UV light tho too because it took too long for water to clear in spring / early summer... good luck and post when you have finished pics...

Looks great!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
gw0mmb said:
Hi Thanks for the reply i do have a 50ltr plastic water tank that i could use if that would be any good

I don't know why it would not.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome10.gif
gw
I only have goldfish in my pond and so I just use a pump in a pot attached to my waterfall hose which also has a container filter in it w/ cut up filter sponge in it for extra filter. It's more work cleaning it than the DIY barrels but I make do. If you are handy I would suggest making the larger outside of the pond filter set up that they all rave about :lol:

Reaction score
gw0mmb said:
Hi Thanks for the reply i do have a 50ltr plastic water tank that i could use if that would be any good

Paul, I used a 65 gal for additional filtration and used 3 22" by 6" thick Matala mats. I am very pleased with the Matala, worth every penny. I ran my 1 1/2" input with check valve to the bottom instead of the top for easy installation and removal of the Matala rounds. I also installed 2" dump valve on the bottom which completely back flushes the 65 gal in seconds.

Attachments

• 65 Gal Barrel.jpg
    65 Gal Barrel.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 251
  • 2 inch dump valve.jpg
    2 inch dump valve.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 226

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Nice job, I wish I had put my dump valve on the bottom. The side works, but I think the bottom will give a better and more complete flush.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
Nice job, I wish I had put my dump valve on the bottom. The side works, but I think the bottom will give a better and more complete flush.

Thanks! I also used a PVC shower drain so it would be flush with the bottom. Better than a bulkhead fitting which has a rise.

Ask a Question