ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Hi, my uncle has this nice little stream water feature in his front yard. He is wondering if I had any ideas for a filter that will prevent algae build-up on the stones of the stream bed. I need something seriously compact.

Now see, my uncle is really smart, and he is loaded. He started his own company, and if I can help him out with this, he may help me with my landscaping career in the the future.

Thanks,

Zman

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I can't think of any filter that will stop algae growth on the rock in a stream bed.
The only thing I can think of off hand is either a chemical, such as chlorine, or heavy dose of hydrogen peroxide. this will probably cause any wildlife that comes around the stream bed to live or possibly even be killed. Another suggestion is to turn the stream off and allow the bed to completely dry and the sun and heat will kill any algae that have formed on the rocks. A UV light might help with green water but doesn't do much for string alage that string off from the rocks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond professional uses hydrogen peroxide granules for my arizona pond, when the algae grows on the water fall rocks. It is not cheap, when I get home I could post a link to what he uses. Keeps the algae gone and the fish are doing great.

When I lived there I used hydrogen peroxide, 1 liter per 1000 gallons, fish did fine wildlife did fine..........but no koi. and algae dead and gone

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Three weeks ago my pond was horrible pea-soup... so bad you could not see 6" into the water, and all of the pea-gravel was covered with green slime. I use the general biological filters made from 55-gal barrels, and seeded my pond heavily with bacteria starter.

I'm thinking for your stream, you could try planting heavily along the borders so the plants clean the water, and using a small bio-filter at the top of the stream. If you want the filter hidden, why not bury it completely so the clean water simply comes up out of the top of the container and forms the head of the stream?

Anyway, here's what my pea-gravel looks like this week... absolutely clean, no trace of algae growing on it. Of course I can't say how this will work over long-term, but others with heavily-planted bog areas seem to also have pretty clean rock, so I have high hopes...
IMG_5960.JPG

IMG_5958.JPG

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I get letters of thanks all the time for both bio filter success stories and using water lettuce to clear up pea soup. It is hard to argue with success. The best part is, cost and ease of maintenance.

Ask a Question