JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
That's a cool video Priscilla. I may abandon the idea of keeping the water level up and rather have it trickle like the video shows.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
That's a cool video Priscilla. I may abandon the idea of keeping the water level up and rather have it trickle like the video shows.
It won't be a trickle tower because it doesn't have the airflow though it.

And if you don't have the water level up, the media won't be submerged if the water flow is too low.

Reaction score

There's a bunch of these on you tube. Some just use PVC as a tall tower, but this one looks like it would get the most oxygen through all the layers.

Hubby just shot me down saying we don't have enough space to hide it. :( Let me know if you do one though, I would love to hear how it works. I'm not even sure they still use those soda can crates.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
There would be a myriad of ways to hide a tower, depending upon your style. The whole thing could be encased in a 2x4 frame, covered in cement board to which you could attach tile, stone....pretty well any type of material, then surround it with elevated/faced planters. Add a spill lip to the tower, they're not hard to make out of galvanized sheet metal.

In my experience, you can hide pretty well anything you need to hide if you put your mind to it........just ask my wife after I come home with a new toy or tool. LOL

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It won't be a trickle tower because it doesn't have the airflow though it.

And if you don't have the water level up, the media won't be submerged if the water flow is too low.

I would space it out, the same way the video shows, and it looks like the point of the trickle tower is that the media is not submerged. It doesn't have to be identical to my original plan. I'm just looking for the simplest/cheapest way to do it.

Last edited:

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
I would space it out, the same way the video shows, and it looks like the point of the trickle tower is that the media is not submerged.
That is correct, the media is not submerged. But it isn't in a container either like yours. The trickle tower needs lots of airflow. And it also has a spacer at the top so the water flows evenly. We're talking about 2 different things here.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
AHHHHHH!!!!

Lets start from scratch. Forget everything I've ever typed in this topic. In fact, pretend this is the first post in the topic:

Hi. I have a question.
How do I make a filter, the simplest and cheapest way possible? I'm on a budget not much more than $0.00, I have a 400g pond so I don't need a huge setup and I'm not necessarily looking for the 'best' way of doing it, just a way that will work. My pump is something like 650gph, and it's split to my stream and my waterfall. Keep in mind I've never built anything similar to a filter before, and have no real knowledge anything about it, & I'd recommend talking to me like I'm five years old.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get to confusing just get a tote and lava rock tote may cost 5 dollars and lava rock 3 dollars or so a bag.Thats how I started out and still use lava rock .

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Well, if you look at what they do, and you look at what they cost for what they do......

It's just a matter of the "better mousetrap' theory......besides, it's fun screwing around doing your own thing. Then there's the satisfaction that comes when it works.

All the money that's saved can be spent on better things.......like beer and golf and bait.

Reaction score
The most simple filter I could think of that represents the best bang for the buck would be a bucket filled with rocks where the hose goes up over the top and in and then down to the bottom where the water flows up through the rocks and back into the pond. That's all I have, I just chose to pick a couple of big fancy buckets, so it costed a bit. If you can pass the hose through the bottom of the bucket using a bulkhead or other water tight fittings, even better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm amazed at the diversity of filters folks create and use , with their ponds. When I started out, I didn't know any better, so bought a pressurized filter. I have 5 fish in 1670 gallons of water and it works for me. I also have a Savio skimmer with matela pads.

I don't have room for large containers around my pond......and my little filter is easy to hide.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
AHHHHHH!!!!

Lets start from scratch. Forget everything I've ever typed in this topic. In fact, pretend this is the first post in the topic:

Hi. I have a question.
How do I make a filter, the simplest and cheapest way possible? I'm on a budget not much more than $0.00, I have a 400g pond so I don't need a huge setup and I'm not necessarily looking for the 'best' way of doing it, just a way that will work. My pump is something like 650gph, and it's split to my stream and my waterfall. Keep in mind I've never built anything similar to a filter before, and have no real knowledge anything about it, & I'd recommend talking to me like I'm five years old.
Sorry if all that confused you.
Your initial set up is good enough. Just use half the lava rocks you said you would. For the rest of the space, buy a bunch of drinking straws, cut them up into 1/2" lengths and throw them in.
The straws are pretty neutrally buoyant and will act as moving media and you still have the lava rocks. It will be cheap and good.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm amazed at the diversity of filters folks create and use , with their ponds.

I think that's why its so confusing. Everyone does it differently so there's a large variety of opinions on how.

Sorry if all that confused you.
Your initial set up is good enough. Just use half the lava rocks you said you would. For the rest of the space, buy a bunch of drinking straws, cut them up into 1/2" lengths and throw them in.
The straws are pretty neutrally buoyant and will act as moving media and you still have the lava rocks. It will be cheap and good.

Good idea.
I think I'm going to edit my original plan and forget the inner pvc, and just attempt to have water enter on the bottom and exit on the top. I see people use scrubby pads too so I might add them aswell.

Ask a Question