Filter Idea

Reaction score
I have a filter idea what yall think, ok here is my ida what if i take my 30 or bigger gallon tub sink it in the middle of my pond put all the filter stuff in side of it and insted of it poring it in to a bog or waterfall it just overflows? anyone ever thought of that. The only thing bad i guess i could think of would b drainage what ya think

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
You wont have to worry about losing water out of the filter.
Getting to the filter for maintenance is the only set back

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
put it up on some milk crates so it can spill over and give some aeration too!! i did this last year with a large 40 or50 gallon pot that was 36" round but i couldnt get it level enough for an all around even spill over so took it out.

Reaction score
alright so i built me skippy/DOC filter its a 30 gallon tub (it will do untill i get my 55gal drums) and the first layer ill have poly strapping in and the next layer will b the scrubbies and then some plants on top ill get the pic up tomorrow morn.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The poly strapping is all you need. The largest fish stores in SD County use these or PVC turnings. Some of these stores have several hundred tanks fed into this style of bio filter.

Reaction score
really so i don't need to spend a bunch of money on scrubies
awesome and i figured out how i was guna to my waterfall weir out of the filter i just got a 3 in plastic shower drain and siliconed it in

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The anerobic bacteria just need a place to colonize. When water passes over them, they extract the nitrates & nitrites hence the bio filter.
In a 55 gallon drum, the waters rise to the top is enough for the solids to settle out and go to the sump.

Reaction score

Attachments

• 30 gal filter.jpg
    30 gal filter.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 471
  • bag of poly straping.jpg
    bag of poly straping.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 409
  • poly straping.jpg
    poly straping.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 387
  • straping.jpg
    straping.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 411

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Your thumbnails are so small most will not get much from them. Try sizing them about 130KB, I think you are allowed 146KB max on jpg.

Ask a Question