Filter material

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am building my own filter and need some advice of what to put in it. I have already bought filter foam sponge pads going from being largely porous to not a lot but the obviously isn’t enough but I don’t have tonnes to spend on really expensive filter material so can anyone recommend any options that are great but are on the cheaper side

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I have an upflow can filter that I used landscaping lava rock in. Others have used plastic pot scrubbies, if your design allows.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an upflow can filter that I used landscaping lava rock in. Others have used plastic pot scrubbies, if your design allows.
Thanks for the comment
I live in the U.K. and I actually can’t seem to find lava rock sold anywhere but the washing up sponges I can get so thank you very much

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Be very careful with the sponges - make sure they are free from any chemicals that might be added to keep them from growing mold or mildew. The cheaper ones seem to be the best bet!

Good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's perhaps odd, but I have a double layer of bridal veil material in the middle on my fiber pads. One layer of coarse material, over-layed with a course of finer material (up-flow filter). It was quite cheap at the local fabric store. I clean my filter 2-3 times per year and I can tell you that bridal veil stuff traps a lot of...well, stuff.

P.S. - I bought about 10 feet of each variety, bunching it up as I lay it in place.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have those swim noodles , cut up , they do a good job also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Be very careful with the sponges - make sure they are free from any chemicals that might be added to keep them from growing mold or mildew. The cheaper ones seem to be the best bet!

Good luck!
Not only that, I recall someone using those cheap scrubbies and having problems due to them having some type of chemical treatment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
They sell bio balls, which are plastic balls that are not smooth. They have a lot of surface area. Thay are made specifically for that purpose.

People have created bio media from a lot of things too. Cut up pieces of pvc pipe, plastic strips, etc.

I think anything that has a good amount of surface area and won't bunch up together will work. You want space between for the water to pass through. Anything plastic, no metal.

1/2" PVC pipe cut into small pieces or rings.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Some people collect those plastic rings that hold a six pack of pop (or other beverage of your choice!) together. But you'd either have to plan ahead or drink A LOT very quickly!

I do worry about the plastic in general though...

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
You can also use plastic screw lids from milk cartons and the like. Not as much surface area as bioballs, but they're free (other than the price you pay for the products they came on) and usually don't get recycled. Win-win!

Ask a Question