Filter Media

Reaction score
We will finish the last of the landscaping on our new 700 gallon pond on Wed. We are using an Auquascape skimmer and micro falls. In the Micro falls I have the regular two filter pads and a bag of bio balls and hair curlers sitting on top. This setup was keeping the pond fairly clear but with our smaller ponds in the past we became used to crystal clear water with a homemade Rubbermaid filter that used bridal veil and the bio balls and hair curlers.
On the new pond I just added a tetra pressure filter that I was able to get a good deal on and now the water is crystal clear again.

MY QUESTION: The hair curlers and bio balls work but I want to try the cut up filter pads like the ones that the skippy filter uses. Skippy doesn't do online credit and i hate the thought of sending a check in the mail and want to buy the filter media locally or from an online dealer.
Forum member "MEEKABOO" said that he bought his from a local
janitorial Co.. ( links/ brand more inf)

Also I worry about buying anything that might be harmful to the fish, i remember reading in the past the danger of using fiberglass furnace filters because the fibers will kill the fish.
Any ideas and links on filter media?

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
i sent skippy a check 2 times ,,,they send the pads right out..

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,
I know I shouldn't be this way but in this day and age i hate the thought of writing and sending a check. I haven't written a check in over a year or more.
But i do want the Skippy media so I might have to compromise. LOL

Reaction score
Hey Jstchilln,
I got my pads here in Hamilton, Ontario. I really know nothing about the brand. "Kirscp" gave you a link that shows exactly what I have. The store I bought mine from doesn't have a web site. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Ask a Question